The game plan on A-Rod

Oct 16, 2009, 10:25 AM EST

John Harper of the New York Daily News, after talking about how Bartolo Colon and the Angels stymied Alex Rodriguez in the 2005 playoffs by pitching him inside, passes along the Angels’ top-secret plan to contain A-Rod this year:

As a scout from a different AL team said yesterday: “The book on (A-Rod) hasn’t changed over the years. You need to come inside hard, above the hands. That’s where his hole (in his swing) is. If you get his attention in there, then you have a better chance of getting him to chase breaking stuff away.”

I’m reminded of the famous passage in “Ball Four” where Jim Bouton observes that almost every single scouting report for every single hitter is “smoke ‘em inside and then get him to chase something away.”

Seems to me that the key thing here isn’t a scouting report, it’s the ability to execute it.  A-Rod may have a hole in his swing, but based on his career numbers, not too many people have been able to find it.

1. Alan - Oct 16, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Craig you are so smart. Where have you been all my life? Under what rock? You are no doubt the worst writer we have ever seen. You should try writing about something that matters.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I would, Alan, but your mother won’t sign the releases I need to use her name.

3. sirsean - Oct 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Snap!

4. Richard Huntoon - Oct 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Why do you have to bring in someone’s mother? Is anything sacred anymore? You agreed to put information out to the public. You can naturally expect some to disagree with it. Why pull the mother card? Have some class, and don’t stoop to someone elses level.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 16, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Just messin’ around, Richard. I don’t take the millions of jabs at me too seriously, and I don’t expect anyone to take my jabs too seriously either. Especially basic “yo momma” jokes.

6. ILiveInHoth - Oct 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM

That was awesome!

7. Alan's Mom - Oct 16, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I’d sign over the rights, but I am ashamed that Alan is my son.

8. Alan - Oct 16, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Craig how do you explain this?? http://www.digamma.net/btfwiki/Craig_Calcaterra‘s_wife

9. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM

It’s an old joke from, I think, 2002 or so from the Baseball Think Factory website on which I am a frequent poster. It’s pretty self-explanatory I think. As a joke it still pops over at BTF from time to time. What of it?

10. Alan's Mom - Oct 16, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Alan, I gave up sex after you came out of me (instant depression). So I can empathize with Mrs. Shyster.

11. A-Rod Game Plan - FAIL! - Oct 17, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Looks like this will be on Failblog soon…..Maybe Craig and Alan’s Mom with a big FAIL stamp on their……

12. DSFC - Oct 18, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I think Brian Fuentes didn’t get the memo on how to pitch to ARod

13. ARod's Mom - Oct 18, 2009 at 2:33 AM

I’ve made a special crow-pie just for all of you idiot losers who’ve been saying my son isn’t clutch and can’t hit in the post season. Have fun snackin’ bitchez!!!!

14. Alan - Oct 18, 2009 at 9:23 AM

How about it Craig? Your article looks even worse then that sign on your back that says “beat writer”.

15. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 18, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Alan — have you ever taken a reading class? Because if you had, you’d realize that my post was critical of the “game plan” on A-Rod. Specifically, I was mocking the notion that there is some holy grail of a game plan that will get him out. Noting that the allegedly magic game plan that Harper was talking about has been around for over 40 years (the Bouton reference) and that if it was so damn good, A-Rod wouldn’t have hall of fame numbers.
    The fact that he came up big last night validates my criticism of the game plan. Maybe Fuentes knew to pitch him to some small place inside where A-Rod can’t allegedly hit, but that actually doing so and getting him out is another thing altogether.
    I don’t care if you think I can’t write, but at least attempt to understand what I wrote before spouting off, buddy.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester