Holliday prefers New York, New York

Oct 18, 2009, 9:54 PM EDT

matt holliday cardinals.jpgSo Matt Holliday likes the Big Apple?

According to Newsday’s Ken Davidoff, who cites “a person in the loop,” the Cardinals’ free agent slugger and playoff goat views the Yankees as his No. 1 free agent choice, with the Mets coming in at No. 2.

Davidoff is skeptical that either place makes sense.

As of now, I’d say the Yankees don’t want to make another large purchase like that, in the wake of last winter’s shopping spree – and if they win it all, then the pressure from the yakosphere (trademark Neil Best) to get Holliday should alleviate.

First of all, does the pressure from the “yakosphere” ever really slow down? And secondly, look at what the Yankees have coming off the books: Johnny Damon ($13 million), Hideki Matsui ($13 million), Xavier Nady ($6.5 million), Andy Pettitte ($5 million) and Chieng-Ming Wang ($5 million). That’s $42.5 million, so the Yankees should definitely have some wiggle room.

Of course, they’ll also have to figure out what to do with their rotation behind CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and, I assume, Joba Chamberlain, and account for raises. I’m not saying it’s a perfect fit, but I wouldn’t rule it out just yet.

But what about the Mets?

The Mets? Based on Jeff Wilpon’s words from a few weeks ago, they’ll consider anything and everything. Of course, many industry folks are very skeptical that the Mets will actually do so.

Holliday’s primary reservation about joining the Mets? Yup, hitting at Citi Field. Maybe they can alter the dimensions? Jerry Manuel hinted near the end of the season that wasn’t impossible.

So they might be rolling out the red carpet in Queens … maybe. I hope it includes one heckuva medical plan.

1. Grant - Oct 18, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Weren’t we just hearing that the Mets are broke? Like, so broke that they won’t fire their GM to have to pay two salaries?
    Either they’re broke or they are going for Holliday. Doesn’t seem like you can have it both ways.

2. ProfessorG - Oct 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I say to hell with that. Let’s use the money to get another front line pitcher so we can put Joba in the pen with Hughes to set up Mo
    making us invincible after 6 innings and yes we need an outfielder or 2 but not priced as high as Holliday who I feel is over rated.

3. Matthew Pouliot - Oct 19, 2009 at 4:08 AM

My two cents: if Davidoff had a decent source for this news, it’d be his biggest scoop this year and he’d have turned it into a full article. “Person in the loop?” Please.

4. Cleve Sylcox - Oct 19, 2009 at 10:05 AM

From a Cardinal fans view point I say I would love for him to reamain a Cardinal. Although, at the end of September I sensed something a miss in Cadinal nation, they lost their swagger, their intensity. Pujous, and Holliday, whom both carried the club dropped thier bats and were no longer a factor. Maybe it is two big egos colliding. So, for the sake of the Cardinals longivity, I say let Mat go. I’d rather have Roland anyway.

5. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Oct 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM

The guy hit .353/.419/.604 since he was traded to STL and .336/.439/.619 in September alone. “Something amiss” was the Cards got outplayed in 2/3 division games, and after the Holliday error their closer imploded.
    But yes, let this guy go and see if you can replace his “production” from somewhere else.

6. Cleve Sylcox - Oct 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM

No doubt about it, he has high stats, but please, chemistry is everything, and if he does not mix, let him go. I’m sure his numbers will once again be typical Hoilliday. He is a great hitter, and usually a reliable fielder. He will surface somewhere, and Like I said, I hope it is with the Cardinals. but if he isn’t I wish him the best of luck.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto