Oct 19, 2009, 12:22 PM EDT
As expected, Joe Girardi officially announced that CC Sabathia will start Game 4 of the ALCS for the Yankees.
Chad Gaudin or Joba Chamberlain were the other options, so there was never really any doubt. Sabathia will be working on short rest after throwing 113 pitches over eight innings of one-run ball Friday in Game 1, but will then be lined up to start a potential Game 7 on full rest (or Game 1 of the World Series on extra rest).
Sabathia didn’t make a single start on short rest during the regular season, and in fact made 13 of his 34 starts on more than four days’ rest. For his career he’s only started on three days’ rest four times, but three of those outings came last season for the Brewers and he’s gone 3-1 with a 1.01 ERA on short rest.
“We’re comfortable with him going on short rest,” Girardi said. “He’s had success going on short rest if you look at last year’s numbers, so we’re comfortable doing it. He feels good, and we’re going right to CC.”
Sabathia will match up against Scott Kazmir tomorrow night unless the Angels change their plan to go with a four-man rotation and instead turn back to Game 1 starter John Lackey. As noted prior to the series starting, the drawn-out ALCS schedule allowing the Yankees to use Sabathia three times plus A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte twice apiece is a big factor in New York’s favor.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)