Oct 19, 2009, 12:22 PM EST
As expected, Joe Girardi officially announced that CC Sabathia will start Game 4 of the ALCS for the Yankees.
Chad Gaudin or Joba Chamberlain were the other options, so there was never really any doubt. Sabathia will be working on short rest after throwing 113 pitches over eight innings of one-run ball Friday in Game 1, but will then be lined up to start a potential Game 7 on full rest (or Game 1 of the World Series on extra rest).
Sabathia didn’t make a single start on short rest during the regular season, and in fact made 13 of his 34 starts on more than four days’ rest. For his career he’s only started on three days’ rest four times, but three of those outings came last season for the Brewers and he’s gone 3-1 with a 1.01 ERA on short rest.
“We’re comfortable with him going on short rest,” Girardi said. “He’s had success going on short rest if you look at last year’s numbers, so we’re comfortable doing it. He feels good, and we’re going right to CC.”
Sabathia will match up against Scott Kazmir tomorrow night unless the Angels change their plan to go with a four-man rotation and instead turn back to Game 1 starter John Lackey. As noted prior to the series starting, the drawn-out ALCS schedule allowing the Yankees to use Sabathia three times plus A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte twice apiece is a big factor in New York’s favor.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 19
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 95
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)