Oct 19, 2009, 12:22 PM EDT
As expected, Joe Girardi officially announced that CC Sabathia will start Game 4 of the ALCS for the Yankees.
Chad Gaudin or Joba Chamberlain were the other options, so there was never really any doubt. Sabathia will be working on short rest after throwing 113 pitches over eight innings of one-run ball Friday in Game 1, but will then be lined up to start a potential Game 7 on full rest (or Game 1 of the World Series on extra rest).
Sabathia didn’t make a single start on short rest during the regular season, and in fact made 13 of his 34 starts on more than four days’ rest. For his career he’s only started on three days’ rest four times, but three of those outings came last season for the Brewers and he’s gone 3-1 with a 1.01 ERA on short rest.
“We’re comfortable with him going on short rest,” Girardi said. “He’s had success going on short rest if you look at last year’s numbers, so we’re comfortable doing it. He feels good, and we’re going right to CC.”
Sabathia will match up against Scott Kazmir tomorrow night unless the Angels change their plan to go with a four-man rotation and instead turn back to Game 1 starter John Lackey. As noted prior to the series starting, the drawn-out ALCS schedule allowing the Yankees to use Sabathia three times plus A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte twice apiece is a big factor in New York’s favor.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)