Oct 19, 2009, 12:22 PM EST
As expected, Joe Girardi officially announced that CC Sabathia will start Game 4 of the ALCS for the Yankees.
Chad Gaudin or Joba Chamberlain were the other options, so there was never really any doubt. Sabathia will be working on short rest after throwing 113 pitches over eight innings of one-run ball Friday in Game 1, but will then be lined up to start a potential Game 7 on full rest (or Game 1 of the World Series on extra rest).
Sabathia didn’t make a single start on short rest during the regular season, and in fact made 13 of his 34 starts on more than four days’ rest. For his career he’s only started on three days’ rest four times, but three of those outings came last season for the Brewers and he’s gone 3-1 with a 1.01 ERA on short rest.
“We’re comfortable with him going on short rest,” Girardi said. “He’s had success going on short rest if you look at last year’s numbers, so we’re comfortable doing it. He feels good, and we’re going right to CC.”
Sabathia will match up against Scott Kazmir tomorrow night unless the Angels change their plan to go with a four-man rotation and instead turn back to Game 1 starter John Lackey. As noted prior to the series starting, the drawn-out ALCS schedule allowing the Yankees to use Sabathia three times plus A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte twice apiece is a big factor in New York’s favor.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)