Simers: Philly fans are "the ugliest in the country"

Oct 20, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT

Merely picking the Dodgers to win this series brought all manner of Philly fan out of the woodwork to yell at me for disrespecting the champs.  The Los Angeles Times’ T.J. Simers, takes things to an entirely new level:

As you know, Fox will be broadcasting the World Series and it likes to put the camera on the face of every single fan sitting in the stands, these fans as ugly as any in the country.

Nowhere in America are people more angry than those living here. During Game 3 they had their humorless furry mascot put on boxing gloves and take on someone who was supposed to be an L.A. fan, sunglasses, cellphone and all. The furry mascot punched him out, much to the delight of the folks here who love a dash of violence with their sports entertainment.

But this is considered entertainment here, the only bright spot if they draw the Yankees now, getting a look in the mirror at fans who might remind them of themselves.

Last week I questioned whether the Philly police were using their time and resources wisely when they drove Cole Hamels to the hospital for the birth of his son.  Today, it seems, that they’ll be paying overtime to protect the life and limb of a Los Angeles sportswriter.

1. anna - Oct 20, 2009 at 3:44 PM

You got that right. It is angry Simers that is ugly.

2. Meg - Oct 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Mr. Simers should stick to quoting sports statistics – I have seen his picture and he has no right calling Philadelphia fans ugly.

3. KJMDodger - Oct 20, 2009 at 11:31 PM

You Philly fans seem to think that you have the market on what it takes to be good fans. The comments above are pretty self serving and all buy in to the myth that Dodger fans do not support their team and are the only fans who arrive to games late and leave early. I have been to some big, important games at Fenway, Yankee Stadium and Wrigley, and I can tell you that their fans arrive late and leave early as well (witness the NY fans who left ACLS Game 1 early because of rain and its length). I suspect that it is the same in Philly. The bottom line is that the part time fans who show up to big games, don’t really care and arrive late or leave early. The true fans who grit it out all season long, arrive early for BP, cheer through out the game without such disgusting chants as “Phillys Suck” (which they don’t), and stay for all 27 outs. I would say that your green Phanatic beating up on an effigy of a Dodger fan or player is as in bad taste as the Phillys Suck chants. So stop the BS and patting yourselves on the back for being such great fans. You’re no better or worse than other cities’ fans. You’ve got a great team, who, IF THEY WIN, I will cheer on as a fan of the National League.

4. SAOMMYankee - Oct 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Yankees rock and I think that if they make it to the world series they will dominate you Phillys (if you guys make the cut)!

5. Old Gator - Oct 21, 2009 at 1:27 AM

I used to think that Philly fans were the ugliest in the league – until, that is, the Marlins/Cubs NLCS series in 2003. I don’t think I’ve ever heard as big a bunch of boorish, vulgar, loudmouthed slugs as the Cubs fans who invaded whatever they were calling JoeProDolShark Stadium that year (and as an aside, I think “Land Shark Stadium” is far and away the most inane name for a major league facility and that Land Shark may well be the worst beer in America right now – but with naming rights up for the highest bidder, I don’t doubt we’re going to have a “Preparation H Bowl” sooner or later). I was shocked and disgusted with the Cubs fans mainly because I went to the University of Chicago, spent several great years up there, attended plenty of Cubs games and generally found the ambience friendly and funny, if mordant – for understandable reasons. What a difference three and a half decades makes. It’s a sad day when the fans with the best pizza in the country seem so much more obnoxious than the fans with the worst sandwich.

6. Frank Rat - Oct 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM

& thats a real nice pic of u craig

7. weekend woodworking projects - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM

All difficult courses will probably job at projects such as furnishings. Here will of course exist some lessons attached to utilizing routers, saws and the many power resources which are employed inside the industry. A classes will probably be incredibly pleasant for you personally while everyone find out to create artistic plus gorgeous furnishings.

8. custom apparel - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Woooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!the Saints won the Super Bowl we guys think good win? Fair? What are your opinions?

9. Estela Micklos - Feb 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM

You prepared an excellent point with what you mentioned. Folks have to read your post so they can have a better perspective about this issue. It was wonderful of you to provide good facts and supporting justifications. After reading this, I know my thoughts are extremely clear on the issue. Carry on the truly amazing work!

10. Olevia Matley - Feb 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Pretty superb entry, definitely educational stuff. Never ever considered I’d discover the info I want in this article. I have been scouring everywhere in the net for a while now and had been starting to get frustrated. Luckily, I happened onto your page and got exactly what I had been browsing for.

11. Bill - Mar 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM

Great post, I really enjoy your blog, I will be stopping by again soon.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet