Oct 20, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Why? Because this is CC Sabathia’s career line on three days rest, which is what he’ll be on as he takes the mound tonight:
Small sample size? Oh, absolutely. Fluky? Hard to say. Anything can happen in four starts, but over the course of his career, he has done much better with less rest than he has with extra rest. I’m no pitching expert, but the guy is a horse who gets so much of his power from his extremely ample lower body that his arm seems way less affected by a heavy workload than a lot of other guys. And given how badly Girardi has toasted his bullpen over the past two games, the Yankees are going to need CC to carry that weight.
Of course, even if Sabathia doesn’t come through tonight, he is set to go in a theoretical Game 7 on normal rest. Which, despite last night’s game, is the reason why I seriously doubted Anaheim’s chances in this series. To win it, they gotta beat CC Sabathia at least once. From where I’m sitting, I’m having a hard time seeing it happening.
UPDATE: Reader Mike Z correctly notes that I missed a short rest start for Sabathia. He started Game 2 of the 2008 NLDS on short rest. He got beat up pretty bad.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 33
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)