Oct 20, 2009, 9:55 AM EST
Why? Because this is CC Sabathia’s career line on three days rest, which is what he’ll be on as he takes the mound tonight:
Small sample size? Oh, absolutely. Fluky? Hard to say. Anything can happen in four starts, but over the course of his career, he has done much better with less rest than he has with extra rest. I’m no pitching expert, but the guy is a horse who gets so much of his power from his extremely ample lower body that his arm seems way less affected by a heavy workload than a lot of other guys. And given how badly Girardi has toasted his bullpen over the past two games, the Yankees are going to need CC to carry that weight.
Of course, even if Sabathia doesn’t come through tonight, he is set to go in a theoretical Game 7 on normal rest. Which, despite last night’s game, is the reason why I seriously doubted Anaheim’s chances in this series. To win it, they gotta beat CC Sabathia at least once. From where I’m sitting, I’m having a hard time seeing it happening.
UPDATE: Reader Mike Z correctly notes that I missed a short rest start for Sabathia. He started Game 2 of the 2008 NLDS on short rest. He got beat up pretty bad.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)