Oct 20, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Why? Because this is CC Sabathia’s career line on three days rest, which is what he’ll be on as he takes the mound tonight:
Small sample size? Oh, absolutely. Fluky? Hard to say. Anything can happen in four starts, but over the course of his career, he has done much better with less rest than he has with extra rest. I’m no pitching expert, but the guy is a horse who gets so much of his power from his extremely ample lower body that his arm seems way less affected by a heavy workload than a lot of other guys. And given how badly Girardi has toasted his bullpen over the past two games, the Yankees are going to need CC to carry that weight.
Of course, even if Sabathia doesn’t come through tonight, he is set to go in a theoretical Game 7 on normal rest. Which, despite last night’s game, is the reason why I seriously doubted Anaheim’s chances in this series. To win it, they gotta beat CC Sabathia at least once. From where I’m sitting, I’m having a hard time seeing it happening.
UPDATE: Reader Mike Z correctly notes that I missed a short rest start for Sabathia. He started Game 2 of the 2008 NLDS on short rest. He got beat up pretty bad.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)