Oct 20, 2009, 3:21 PM EDT
* Ryan Howard has tied Lou Gehrig as the only players in baseball history with an RBI in eight straight playoff games, although Alex Rodriguez can join them if he knocks in a run tonight.
Gehrig hit .536 with seven homers during his eight-game stretch, and of course did all that damage in the World Series.
* Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo is reportedly close to signing with the Cubs and becoming the highest paid coach in baseball, which makes his decision to leave the Rangers after 15 seasons on the job look pretty smart financially.
* Carlos Guillen and Jim Leyland have apparently settled their differences, so Guillen is now slated to be the Tigers’ starting left fielder in 2010. Until he gets hurt or Leyland decides he needs to get Ryan Raburn into the lineup, of course.
* Los Angeles bench coach Don Mattingly is among the finalists to become Cleveland’s new manager, but likely won’t be able to officially interview for the job until the Dodgers are out of the postseason.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)