Oct 20, 2009, 3:21 PM EDT
* Ryan Howard has tied Lou Gehrig as the only players in baseball history with an RBI in eight straight playoff games, although Alex Rodriguez can join them if he knocks in a run tonight.
Gehrig hit .536 with seven homers during his eight-game stretch, and of course did all that damage in the World Series.
* Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo is reportedly close to signing with the Cubs and becoming the highest paid coach in baseball, which makes his decision to leave the Rangers after 15 seasons on the job look pretty smart financially.
* Carlos Guillen and Jim Leyland have apparently settled their differences, so Guillen is now slated to be the Tigers’ starting left fielder in 2010. Until he gets hurt or Leyland decides he needs to get Ryan Raburn into the lineup, of course.
* Los Angeles bench coach Don Mattingly is among the finalists to become Cleveland’s new manager, but likely won’t be able to officially interview for the job until the Dodgers are out of the postseason.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)