Oct 20, 2009, 3:21 PM EST
* Ryan Howard has tied Lou Gehrig as the only players in baseball history with an RBI in eight straight playoff games, although Alex Rodriguez can join them if he knocks in a run tonight.
Gehrig hit .536 with seven homers during his eight-game stretch, and of course did all that damage in the World Series.
* Hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo is reportedly close to signing with the Cubs and becoming the highest paid coach in baseball, which makes his decision to leave the Rangers after 15 seasons on the job look pretty smart financially.
* Carlos Guillen and Jim Leyland have apparently settled their differences, so Guillen is now slated to be the Tigers’ starting left fielder in 2010. Until he gets hurt or Leyland decides he needs to get Ryan Raburn into the lineup, of course.
* Los Angeles bench coach Don Mattingly is among the finalists to become Cleveland’s new manager, but likely won’t be able to officially interview for the job until the Dodgers are out of the postseason.
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)