MLB finds 'no evidence' of Rivera 'spitball'

Oct 20, 2009, 2:29 PM EDT

As a follow-up to Craig’s article this morning, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that MLB “found no evidence that Mariano Rivera spit on the ball” after reviewing video and photos from Game 3 of the ALCS.
Craig already covered just about everything involved in this “story” but my take is that it’s unclear from the video if Rivera was spitting on the baseball or simply near the baseball.
In either case he made zero effort to hide what he was doing, which would obviously be pretty odd if he was, you know, actually attempting to cheat.
Sherman notes that “Rivera is a player who spits constantly while in action” and has never been accused of doctoring a baseball in the past.
In other words, hopefully we’re done with this whole thing, because it’s pretty silly and not nearly as amusing as the last time a star player from New York was accused of spitting. “That is one magic loogy.”
Roger McDowell was unavailable for comment.

1. planktonDisciple - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM

The second highest payroll is about 75% of the Yanks. There are about 6-8 teams in the 50-75% range and everyone else pays less than half of the Yanks payroll.

2. bh0673 - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM

The Yankees look to reward their fans first, a winning mentality is not a bad thing. But They put their money back into the team and not into their pockets like most owners do. Maybe you should open up your mind a little and drop the prejudice. George took a money losing last place team and invested in it and by investing took that $10 million investment and turned it into a $1 billion dollar business. Shame on him. THe bug difference is the Yankees do draw on the road and have fans in all markets the Angels don’t.

3. RudeDog - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM

WOW! Almost double the salary and both teams are in the same spot in the post season. Talk about a waste of $$. How much did your taxes increase for that new ball park? I can still go to a game for under $10 bucks………That really sucks!

4. reddgirl - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Why so much hate for the Yanks? Man, I love it. Don’t hate my team, more than you love you own! Case and point – If you were in trouble with the law, would you want the best attorney money could buy, or would you just say, give me the run of the mill lawyer, and I will be happy. It wouldn’t matter if you were guilty or innocent, you want the best money could buy! The Yanks are the best, hate them or love them, I say just beat them! They are the cream of the crop, even if they haven’t won in 20 years, they are still “America’s Team” of baseball, we all know who “America Team” in football is, and I don’t have to tell you who the team is in basketball, do I? One thing they have in common, CHAMPIONSHIPS!

5. bh0673 - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Ticket prices at Yankee Stadium start at $5.00 but again it is what you don’t know

6. bh0673 - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Good comment, the sad reality is though the Cardinals are America’s Team at least from what we read here it is the way it comes acrossin the media.

7. reddgirl - Oct 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Let’s call them the ugly stepsisters! True sports fan love and support their team, in the best of times thru the worst of times, it’s your team! Why does eveyone hate the Yanks more than they love their own team? Because they win! RudeDog is what my bro calls a true hater, one who hates those who win, just eats him alive. His head is going to explode! I always say to those who hate on my “Boys”, if your team hasn’t accomplished what my team has, you are a cheerleader, benchwarmer, that’s all! You wouldn’t understand what its like to be a winner! Dont waste your time with him, he will never understand!

8. bh0673 - Oct 20, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I agree a lot of the hatred is a little jealousy however they forget all the years the Yankees don’t win. Where have all the haters been since 2003, while the Yankees couldn’t get past the first round and last year not even in. They may be too young to remember all those years from 1982 – 1994 when the Yankees never saw the post season. Love them or hate them for what is perceived as over spending the reality is before 1996 the Yankees averaged 27000 a game or less and now they average over 45,000 a game, if they build it they will come it is said in Field Of Dreams and George did just that. The hatred as I said comes from what they don’t know then from what the reality is.

9. bh0673 - Oct 20, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Sporting NEws, Sports Illustrated, Joe Buck, ESPN and most other national sports outlets still love the Cardinals and everything St. Louis

10. Andrew - Oct 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I believe I’m accurate when I say this but I see 5 yankees brought over as free agents. Mark Teixeira, AJ Burnett, CC Sabathia, Johnny Damon, and Hideki Matsui are the only people that came to Yankees as free agents. Arod, Nady, Swisher, Marte, Molina, Hairson, and Hinkse were all traded as big leaguers with Albaladejo and Sanchez traded as minor leaguers. The rest of the roster came up with Yankees. Not as familar with the Angels roster I see Hunter, Guerrero, Matthews, Escobar, Fuentes, Abreu, and Oliver that were FAs. Kazmir, Figgins, Rivera, and Izturis through trades. Looking at the top 15 salaries for each team that is 5 FAs for Yankees, 7 for Angels. 4 for each team through trades. 6 homegrown yankees, and 4 for Angels. Yankees resign their stars, Angels let them walk (with viable replacements behind them). But you can hardly say Yankees buy their championships.

11. Ora Mcclatchey - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

12. Golf Headlines - Jan 31, 2010 at 4:44 PM

13. unblock myspace - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:55 PM

@Markus I get your drift on where you were going there. I often think of my past and use it as a means to analyze where I am and where I want to get to. Where I struggel is balancing it all out. How do you guys balance things out?

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win