Oct 20, 2009, 2:29 PM EDT
As a follow-up to Craig’s article this morning, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that MLB “found no evidence that Mariano Rivera spit on the ball” after reviewing video and photos from Game 3 of the ALCS.
Craig already covered just about everything involved in this “story” but my take is that it’s unclear from the video if Rivera was spitting on the baseball or simply near the baseball.
In either case he made zero effort to hide what he was doing, which would obviously be pretty odd if he was, you know, actually attempting to cheat.
Sherman notes that “Rivera is a player who spits constantly while in action” and has never been accused of doctoring a baseball in the past.
In other words, hopefully we’re done with this whole thing, because it’s pretty silly and not nearly as amusing as the last time a star player from New York was accused of spitting. “That is one magic loogy.”
Roger McDowell was unavailable for comment.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)