Oct 20, 2009, 2:29 PM EDT
As a follow-up to Craig’s article this morning, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that MLB “found no evidence that Mariano Rivera spit on the ball” after reviewing video and photos from Game 3 of the ALCS.
Craig already covered just about everything involved in this “story” but my take is that it’s unclear from the video if Rivera was spitting on the baseball or simply near the baseball.
In either case he made zero effort to hide what he was doing, which would obviously be pretty odd if he was, you know, actually attempting to cheat.
Sherman notes that “Rivera is a player who spits constantly while in action” and has never been accused of doctoring a baseball in the past.
In other words, hopefully we’re done with this whole thing, because it’s pretty silly and not nearly as amusing as the last time a star player from New York was accused of spitting. “That is one magic loogy.”
Roger McDowell was unavailable for comment.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 0
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 21
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 19
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)