Oct 20, 2009, 2:29 PM EST
As a follow-up to Craig’s article this morning, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that MLB “found no evidence that Mariano Rivera spit on the ball” after reviewing video and photos from Game 3 of the ALCS.
Craig already covered just about everything involved in this “story” but my take is that it’s unclear from the video if Rivera was spitting on the baseball or simply near the baseball.
In either case he made zero effort to hide what he was doing, which would obviously be pretty odd if he was, you know, actually attempting to cheat.
Sherman notes that “Rivera is a player who spits constantly while in action” and has never been accused of doctoring a baseball in the past.
In other words, hopefully we’re done with this whole thing, because it’s pretty silly and not nearly as amusing as the last time a star player from New York was accused of spitting. “That is one magic loogy.”
Roger McDowell was unavailable for comment.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)