Oct 20, 2009, 1:51 PM EDT
Injuries, poor performances, and free-agent losses led to Milwaukee’s rotation ranking dead last in baseball with a 5.37 ERA this season, and the Brewers have hired former A’s and Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson to fix things.
Peterson built up a very strong reputation while working with “The Big Three” of Barry Zito, Tim Hudson, and Mark Mulder in Oakland from 1998-2003, but struggled after taking the same job with New York, reportedly played a big part in the disastrous Scott Kazmir-for-Victor Zambrano trade, and was fired in mid-2008.
Peterson worked under Ken Macha in Oakland and Willie Randolph in New York, and that pair is now the manager-bench coach combo in Milwaukee. They obviously thought highly of his work and Peterson explained that “our philosophies are aligned” after making his two-year contract official at a press conference this afternoon.
There’s clearly a lot of work to do with a pitching staff that allowed the second-most runs in the league, but Peterson at least begins his tenure with a dependable veteran closer in Trevor Hoffman and a young top-of-the-rotation starter in Yovani Gallardo. His biggest test may be trying to turn Manny Parra’s career around, assuming of course that the Brewers don’t trade the 26-year-old left-hander.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 81
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)