Oct 21, 2009, 3:33 PM EDT
* Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Padres “are moving closer” to hiring Red Sox assistant general manager Jed Hoyer as their new GM. Hoyer was still in college when the man he’d be replacing, Kevin Towers, started running the Padres in 1995. He’s previously interviewed for GM jobs with the Nationals and Pirates, and has been with the Red Sox since 2002.
* Livan Hernandez has earned over $50 million in salary during 14 seasons in the majors, including $5 million last year, but Robert Snell of the Detroit News reports that he “faces foreclosure on his $1.3 million Miami home” and is being sued by various creditors.
* If the Philadelphia-Los Angeles series goes to a Game 6, the Phillies will likely turn to Pedro Martinez. He threw a bullpen session yesterday after hurling seven shutout innings in Game 2.
* I’m not sure where this joke originated, but several people sent it to me in the wake of the various umpiring screwups and … well, it amuses me:
One day the devil challenged god to a baseball game.
Smiling, god proclaimed, “You don’t have a chance. I have Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and all the greatest players up here.”
“Yes,” snickered the devil, “but I have all the umpires!”
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 44
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 6
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)