Oct 21, 2009, 11:41 AM EDT
* As expected, Tim Wakefield will undergo back surgery today. Barring any setbacks he should be ready for spring training, but for now the Red Sox are waiting to officially pick up the 43-year-old’s $4 million option for 2010.
* Mike Redmond said yesterday that he plans to play in 2010, but the Twins seem likely to replace him with Jose Morales as Joe Mauer’s backup. Redmond has spent five seasons in Minnesota and is credited as a team leader, but at 38 years old both his hitting and throwing have declined significantly. Whenever he does decide to call it quits, Redmond has a managerial career ahead of him.
* Tampa Bay surprisingly fired hitting coach Steve Henderson after setting a franchise record for runs scored this season and now the Rays have found a replacement in Derek Shelton, who was let go by the Indians along with the rest of Eric Wedge’s staff last month. One team’s trash is another team’s treasure, or something.
* Deadspin has the definitive screen shot of Tim McClelland’s botched call last night, and the picture of Jorge Posada and Robinson Cano standing off the bag with Mike Napoli tagging them should probably be hung (crookedly, of course) in the Bad Umpiring Hall of Fame. I’d write something about how MLB needs to expand replay, but I already did that after all the blown calls last week.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 4
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 9
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 28
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (91)