Oct 21, 2009, 11:41 AM EDT
* As expected, Tim Wakefield will undergo back surgery today. Barring any setbacks he should be ready for spring training, but for now the Red Sox are waiting to officially pick up the 43-year-old’s $4 million option for 2010.
* Mike Redmond said yesterday that he plans to play in 2010, but the Twins seem likely to replace him with Jose Morales as Joe Mauer’s backup. Redmond has spent five seasons in Minnesota and is credited as a team leader, but at 38 years old both his hitting and throwing have declined significantly. Whenever he does decide to call it quits, Redmond has a managerial career ahead of him.
* Tampa Bay surprisingly fired hitting coach Steve Henderson after setting a franchise record for runs scored this season and now the Rays have found a replacement in Derek Shelton, who was let go by the Indians along with the rest of Eric Wedge’s staff last month. One team’s trash is another team’s treasure, or something.
* Deadspin has the definitive screen shot of Tim McClelland’s botched call last night, and the picture of Jorge Posada and Robinson Cano standing off the bag with Mike Napoli tagging them should probably be hung (crookedly, of course) in the Bad Umpiring Hall of Fame. I’d write something about how MLB needs to expand replay, but I already did that after all the blown calls last week.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (87)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)