Oct 21, 2009, 11:41 AM EDT
* As expected, Tim Wakefield will undergo back surgery today. Barring any setbacks he should be ready for spring training, but for now the Red Sox are waiting to officially pick up the 43-year-old’s $4 million option for 2010.
* Mike Redmond said yesterday that he plans to play in 2010, but the Twins seem likely to replace him with Jose Morales as Joe Mauer’s backup. Redmond has spent five seasons in Minnesota and is credited as a team leader, but at 38 years old both his hitting and throwing have declined significantly. Whenever he does decide to call it quits, Redmond has a managerial career ahead of him.
* Tampa Bay surprisingly fired hitting coach Steve Henderson after setting a franchise record for runs scored this season and now the Rays have found a replacement in Derek Shelton, who was let go by the Indians along with the rest of Eric Wedge’s staff last month. One team’s trash is another team’s treasure, or something.
* Deadspin has the definitive screen shot of Tim McClelland’s botched call last night, and the picture of Jorge Posada and Robinson Cano standing off the bag with Mike Napoli tagging them should probably be hung (crookedly, of course) in the Bad Umpiring Hall of Fame. I’d write something about how MLB needs to expand replay, but I already did that after all the blown calls last week.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)