Oct 21, 2009, 8:25 AM EDT
Is anyone particularly surprised by this?:
When asked prior to Tuesday’s workout how surprised he was to see
Jimmy Rollins beat the Dodgers with a walk-off double into the
right-center gap the night before, Ramirez said he was in the shower at
“When I came out, they were turning the TVs off and everybody was coming in,” Ramirez said.
Torre gives some quotes suggesting that it was no big deal. Of course, he gave a lot of quotes saying that various things that happened in New York were no big deal too, and we learned otherwise in his book. I can’t imagine that anyone on the Dodgers appreciates this kind of thing. If the Dodgers won and are up in this series, people chalk this up to Manny being Manny, have a chuckle and move on. But they’re not up. They’re about to be eliminated, and this kind of thing shows total disrespect his teammates.
Not that this is unprecedented. Remember Rickey Henderson and Bobby Bonilla playing cards for the last three innings of the uber-intense Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS? Their Mets’ teammates were not at all pleased: “Guys who saw (the card game) wanted to take a bat to their heads after
the game . . . There were
players crying and screaming in the dugout (after the Mets lost the
game in 11 innings). Then they walk in the clubhouse and see that?” The difference, based on reports of both incidents is that Henderson and Bonilla were being intentionally defiant, sulking in the locker room because each were displeased with certain decisions made by Bobby Valentine during the NLCS. Unless something is going on we don’t know about, Manny was just . . . well, I won’t say it.
Probably worth noting that neither Henderson nor Bonilla were on the 2000 Mets following that incident. The only way Ramirez isn’t on the 2010 Dodgers is if he opts out of his deal, which he almost certainly won’t do. This kind of nonsense, however, is only going to increase the number of people who want him gone.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL