Oct 21, 2009, 8:25 AM EDT
Is anyone particularly surprised by this?:
When asked prior to Tuesday’s workout how surprised he was to see
Jimmy Rollins beat the Dodgers with a walk-off double into the
right-center gap the night before, Ramirez said he was in the shower at
“When I came out, they were turning the TVs off and everybody was coming in,” Ramirez said.
Torre gives some quotes suggesting that it was no big deal. Of course, he gave a lot of quotes saying that various things that happened in New York were no big deal too, and we learned otherwise in his book. I can’t imagine that anyone on the Dodgers appreciates this kind of thing. If the Dodgers won and are up in this series, people chalk this up to Manny being Manny, have a chuckle and move on. But they’re not up. They’re about to be eliminated, and this kind of thing shows total disrespect his teammates.
Not that this is unprecedented. Remember Rickey Henderson and Bobby Bonilla playing cards for the last three innings of the uber-intense Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS? Their Mets’ teammates were not at all pleased: “Guys who saw (the card game) wanted to take a bat to their heads after
the game . . . There were
players crying and screaming in the dugout (after the Mets lost the
game in 11 innings). Then they walk in the clubhouse and see that?” The difference, based on reports of both incidents is that Henderson and Bonilla were being intentionally defiant, sulking in the locker room because each were displeased with certain decisions made by Bobby Valentine during the NLCS. Unless something is going on we don’t know about, Manny was just . . . well, I won’t say it.
Probably worth noting that neither Henderson nor Bonilla were on the 2000 Mets following that incident. The only way Ramirez isn’t on the 2010 Dodgers is if he opts out of his deal, which he almost certainly won’t do. This kind of nonsense, however, is only going to increase the number of people who want him gone.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)