Oct 21, 2009, 8:25 AM EDT
Is anyone particularly surprised by this?:
When asked prior to Tuesday’s workout how surprised he was to see
Jimmy Rollins beat the Dodgers with a walk-off double into the
right-center gap the night before, Ramirez said he was in the shower at
“When I came out, they were turning the TVs off and everybody was coming in,” Ramirez said.
Torre gives some quotes suggesting that it was no big deal. Of course, he gave a lot of quotes saying that various things that happened in New York were no big deal too, and we learned otherwise in his book. I can’t imagine that anyone on the Dodgers appreciates this kind of thing. If the Dodgers won and are up in this series, people chalk this up to Manny being Manny, have a chuckle and move on. But they’re not up. They’re about to be eliminated, and this kind of thing shows total disrespect his teammates.
Not that this is unprecedented. Remember Rickey Henderson and Bobby Bonilla playing cards for the last three innings of the uber-intense Game 6 of the 1999 NLCS? Their Mets’ teammates were not at all pleased: “Guys who saw (the card game) wanted to take a bat to their heads after
the game . . . There were
players crying and screaming in the dugout (after the Mets lost the
game in 11 innings). Then they walk in the clubhouse and see that?” The difference, based on reports of both incidents is that Henderson and Bonilla were being intentionally defiant, sulking in the locker room because each were displeased with certain decisions made by Bobby Valentine during the NLCS. Unless something is going on we don’t know about, Manny was just . . . well, I won’t say it.
Probably worth noting that neither Henderson nor Bonilla were on the 2000 Mets following that incident. The only way Ramirez isn’t on the 2010 Dodgers is if he opts out of his deal, which he almost certainly won’t do. This kind of nonsense, however, is only going to increase the number of people who want him gone.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)