Oct 21, 2009, 2:13 PM EST
Amy K. Nelson of ESPN.com reports that Donald Fehr will receive an $11 million severance package when he steps down as executive director of the MLB Players Association.
Michael Weiner has already been voted in as the replacement for Fehr, who has headed the MLBPA since 1983. He was paid $1 million annually from 2001-2008 and sources told Nelson that his salary “has been stagnant since before that as well” because Fehr declined raises that were offered to him.
Instead “the framework was in place from those offers to determine a fair package for Fehr when he decided to step down” and his severance was approved by the players last month, with an estimated 97 percent voting in favor. “I think without a doubt there was no hesitation,” union subcommittee member and Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson said. “We kept looking at how much Bud Selig makes and we looked at how much Don Fehr hasn’t made.”
Selig reportedly earns around $18 million annually and Nelson points out that Fehr’s basketball counterpart, Billy Hunter, took home $3.5 million this year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)