Oct 21, 2009, 9:50 PM EDT
City workers have greased poles along South Broad Street in an effort to deter revellers from climbing them during any wild celebrations that might follow a possible Phillies victory tonight.
Street lights, signs, bus shelters and even trees have been coated by a yellowish goo that bears a resemblance to petroleum jelly.
Click here for photographic evidence of Philly tax dollars at work (something Craig has already had some fun with). You’ll see workers greasing a light pole, a pay phone (is that really necessary?) and – yes – a tree. (if a tree is greased in the forest … oh never mind).
Philadelphia police Lt. Frank Vanore said police will be out in force tonight in an effort to prevent all the zaniness that happened after last year’s title-clinching win over the Rays, which included looting, throwing things, and yes, climbing on stuff.
I’m all for preventing looting and violence. But greasing trees? We can’t do better than that?
If the police really wanted to make a statement, they’d break out the complete Kevin McCallister playbook: Coat the steps outside the stadium with ice. Rig flying irons and paint cans to swing down from street lights at head-level. And of course, tarantulas!
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (93)