Oct 22, 2009, 9:15 AM EDT
SI’s Jon Heyman hears from one of Matt Holliday’s friends that Holliday has the Yankees at the top of his list.
Which is interesting. On the one hand, Holliday thrived in (a) the N.L.; and (b) in small markets, and there is this sense out there, justified or not, that he’s not the sort of player you could just plug into New York and expect him to shine. On the other hand, the Yankees (a) will have an opening in left field if they let Damon walk and Holliday would fit it well; and (b) they almost always always always go after the top free agent in a given year. As Heyman himself notes, the last time they didn’t do that was when Carlos Beltran was dangling in the winter of 2004-05.
Heyman handicaps the Holliday field as well, and I more or less agree with his comments on all of the contenders. Not sure if it’s a ranking or just a listing, but if it’s a ranking he has the Dodgers way too high at number 2, because I really can’t see Manny not exercising his option. The Braves at number 8 are an intriguing option, simply because they fit what seems like the Holliday mold (N.L., less-intense market) and because they have a glaring need and the ability to spend a little money, assuming they don’t sign Hudson or if they manage to somehow trade off Derek Lowe.
While all of that is interesting, I’m trying to figure out how that sourcing for this story works from a practical angle. Does Heyman stalk Holliday, figure out who his friends are and then secretly get quotes from them without Holliday’s knowledge, or does Holliday and/or his agent orchestrate this, putting a “friend” with Heyman so it doesn’t look like Holliday is out lobbying the Yankees directly? Probably doesn’t matter, but I’m going to assume that this is Holliday and his people planting this in an effort to dispel the notion that Holliday is an N.L. only, small market-only kind of guy, and to make the Yankees a credible bargaining tool as he enters the market.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)