Oct 22, 2009, 12:31 PM EST
Players are almost always praised for remaining in the lineup despite an injury, with most people viewing it as a mix of toughness, competitiveness, and being a good teammate.
That’s certainly true in many cases, but what about the guys who stay in the lineup despite an injury and then perform horribly while clearly at much less than full strength? Brandon Inge was a perfect example of that this season, as his knees began bothering him in early July.
At the time he was having a fantastic season, hitting .275/.367/.521 with 18 homers while making his first All-Star team, but he was diagnosed with microtears in the patella tendons of both knees and went on to bat just .189/.266/.303 during the final three months while starting 81 times.
That entire time announcers, reporters, and teammates constantly praised Inge’s toughness and willingness to play through pain. In theory those are certainly commendable traits, but in reality he contributed to the Tigers’ late-season fade by hurting the team with his horrible post-injury production.
And now he’s scheduled for knee surgery after an MRI exam revealed more damage than initially discovered. He’s expected to be healthy in time for spring training, which will be crucial for the Tigers in 2010. They can’t afford another extended stretch of uselessness from third base just because Inge is a tough guy.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)