Oct 22, 2009, 3:55 PM EST
* Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star suggests that “the Royals should at least look at trading Joakim Soria.” Between contenders watching them struggle in the playoffs and non-contenders trying to cash them in for value, very few teams seem content to stick with their closer these days.
* General manager Frank Wren indicated yesterday that Martin Prado will be the Braves’ starting second baseman next season, so expect plenty of Kelly Johnson trade rumors this winter.
* Jorge Arangure of ESPN.com “hears” that Wagner Mateo may be close to signing with the Giants after the 16-year-old from the Dominican Republic had his $3.1 milllion deal with the Cardinals voided over health issues.
* Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills was brought in for a second interview with the Astros and appears to be a finalist for their managerial opening.
* Joe Torre is now free to follow Bruce Springsteen around the country.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)