Oct 22, 2009, 3:55 PM EDT
* Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star suggests that “the Royals should at least look at trading Joakim Soria.” Between contenders watching them struggle in the playoffs and non-contenders trying to cash them in for value, very few teams seem content to stick with their closer these days.
* General manager Frank Wren indicated yesterday that Martin Prado will be the Braves’ starting second baseman next season, so expect plenty of Kelly Johnson trade rumors this winter.
* Jorge Arangure of ESPN.com “hears” that Wagner Mateo may be close to signing with the Giants after the 16-year-old from the Dominican Republic had his $3.1 milllion deal with the Cardinals voided over health issues.
* Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills was brought in for a second interview with the Astros and appears to be a finalist for their managerial opening.
* Joe Torre is now free to follow Bruce Springsteen around the country.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59