Oct 22, 2009, 3:55 PM EDT
* Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star suggests that “the Royals should at least look at trading Joakim Soria.” Between contenders watching them struggle in the playoffs and non-contenders trying to cash them in for value, very few teams seem content to stick with their closer these days.
* General manager Frank Wren indicated yesterday that Martin Prado will be the Braves’ starting second baseman next season, so expect plenty of Kelly Johnson trade rumors this winter.
* Jorge Arangure of ESPN.com “hears” that Wagner Mateo may be close to signing with the Giants after the 16-year-old from the Dominican Republic had his $3.1 milllion deal with the Cardinals voided over health issues.
* Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills was brought in for a second interview with the Astros and appears to be a finalist for their managerial opening.
* Joe Torre is now free to follow Bruce Springsteen around the country.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)