Oct 22, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Yeah, I did a double take too, but check out what FOX’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting:
Multiple teams are in contact the Cubs about outfielder Milton Bradley, with one source saying, “You would be shocked at the level of interest.” The Cubs remain confident that they can trade Bradley without assuming the vast majority of the $21 million remaining on his contract over the next two years.
I guess this all turns on the definition of “vast majority.” Is that 60%? 75%? There’s probably no way you take Bradley if you have to pay him $10-$12 million, but if you’re a team that could use a DH, would you go for $6 million? $7 million? That’s a closer call, especially considering that it buys you two years of what could very well be above-average production. At that amount, most teams could simply cut Bradley and eat the money without too much heartburn if he acts like a knucklehead. And it may be just on the good side of the Cubs’ “vast majority” line.
My friend Rob Neyer is fond of saying that teams don’t trade players. They trade contracts. A contract at $3-$4m a year for a decent bat is worth trading for, even if that contract and bat are attached to Milton Bradley.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)