Oct 22, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Yeah, I did a double take too, but check out what FOX’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting:
Multiple teams are in contact the Cubs about outfielder Milton Bradley, with one source saying, “You would be shocked at the level of interest.” The Cubs remain confident that they can trade Bradley without assuming the vast majority of the $21 million remaining on his contract over the next two years.
I guess this all turns on the definition of “vast majority.” Is that 60%? 75%? There’s probably no way you take Bradley if you have to pay him $10-$12 million, but if you’re a team that could use a DH, would you go for $6 million? $7 million? That’s a closer call, especially considering that it buys you two years of what could very well be above-average production. At that amount, most teams could simply cut Bradley and eat the money without too much heartburn if he acts like a knucklehead. And it may be just on the good side of the Cubs’ “vast majority” line.
My friend Rob Neyer is fond of saying that teams don’t trade players. They trade contracts. A contract at $3-$4m a year for a decent bat is worth trading for, even if that contract and bat are attached to Milton Bradley.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires