Oct 22, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Yeah, I did a double take too, but check out what FOX’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting:
Multiple teams are in contact the Cubs about outfielder Milton Bradley, with one source saying, “You would be shocked at the level of interest.” The Cubs remain confident that they can trade Bradley without assuming the vast majority of the $21 million remaining on his contract over the next two years.
I guess this all turns on the definition of “vast majority.” Is that 60%? 75%? There’s probably no way you take Bradley if you have to pay him $10-$12 million, but if you’re a team that could use a DH, would you go for $6 million? $7 million? That’s a closer call, especially considering that it buys you two years of what could very well be above-average production. At that amount, most teams could simply cut Bradley and eat the money without too much heartburn if he acts like a knucklehead. And it may be just on the good side of the Cubs’ “vast majority” line.
My friend Rob Neyer is fond of saying that teams don’t trade players. They trade contracts. A contract at $3-$4m a year for a decent bat is worth trading for, even if that contract and bat are attached to Milton Bradley.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 0
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 37
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 28
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)