No miracle coming for these Angels

Oct 22, 2009, 1:30 AM EDT

In truth, the ALCS should be over already. While there’s been just the one blowout, the Yankees have outshined the Halos in every aspect of the game through four long nights of baseball.
*The Bombers are hitting .278/.375/.481 with eight homers, while the Angels have struggled to a .201/.273/.329 line.
*The Yankees’ pitching staff has an exceptional 1.032 WHIP, while the Angels are at 1.661.
*With Mark Teixeira hauling in wide throws left and right, the Yankees have committed just three errors to the Angels’ six.
Maybe the baserunning goes to the Angels, if only by default. Both teams have been abysmal, but at least the Angels have been caught stealing just once, while the Yankees have been gunned down three times in five attempts.
The Angels didn’t even seem to make a real effort in Tuesday’s Game 4. Their at-bats are getting worse by the day.
Against CC Sabathia in Game 1, the Angels saw 3.94 pitches per plate appearance. Facing A.J. Burnett and a cast of relievers in Game 2, it was 3.97. In the Game 3 victory, though, it dropped to 3.70. In the Game 4 humiliation, they were all of the way down to 3.45.
For the Angels to win the series now, they’d need to beat A.J. Burnett, Andy Petttite and Sabathia in succession. They have a realistic chance of winning Game 5 with John Lackey on the mound, but it’s doubtful that Sabathia will work again until Game 1 of the World Series. The Yankee bullpen is fully rested after the completely unnecessary off day on Wednesday, and all of the extra time off has given Joe Girardi’s crew a big advantage at the end of games, even if Girardi doesn’t know how to optimize it. At this point, it’s just a matter of whether the Yankees will wrap it up in five or six.

1. Bob Glaudel - Oct 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I’m a Yankee fan, and you are referring to the Red Sox coming back to beat the Yankees in 2004, I think. Actually, it wasn’t a 3-1 game deficit, it was 3-0, and Mariano Rivera was within one strike of ending the game for a 4-0 Yankee sweep. I believe the Red Sox were the only team to come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series. After the series was tied 3-3, I knew the Yankees were doomed.
    I do not think the Yankees have it “sewed up”. Comebacks happen in all sports. It will be difficult, but if the Angels are able to tie the series 3-3, then I believe they will win and go to the World Series. It’s just very difficult to beat a playoff team 3 times in a row (although it has happened a couple of times during these playoffs).

2. Bronx Bombers - Oct 22, 2009 at 7:18 PM

THE EVIL EMPIRE IS BACK!!! Sorry to all the Haters.

3. johnnywad - Oct 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I ain’t heard no “fat” lady singing

4. johnnywad - Oct 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I agree!!!!! Go Lakers

5. phillies man - Oct 22, 2009 at 7:52 PM

The Phillies have way more heart than any team in baseball. Unfortunately for the Yanks……$250 mil doesn’t buy you heart. Plus, Joba and Hughes are absolute garbage……so unless the three top starters can pitch complete games…….it will be home run derby in that little league field known as yankee stadium

6. Just Wondering - Oct 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM

No one I’ve seen has mentioned the obvious..The Yankees must win so that they can play and win the World Series in their new hugely expensive stadium. Have they paid off players on opposing teams or had those players play poorly in hopes of landing with the Yankees and higher pay as a reward? Who knows?

7. Russ - Oct 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM

A previous post: “Yeah, the Yankees are pretty good. But it is a known fact that Alex Rodriguez and Andy Pettit (and maybe others) are known steroid users. Can we all agree their accomplishments and the Yankees’ success and greatness are tainted and meaningless? I used to like baseball until I learned that MLB chose to not deal with the steroid issue. Yeah the Yankees are great. But it’s all a drug-induced illusion.”
    A lot of people pointed out to me that the Yankees are not the only team with steroid issues. Exactly. I used to be a Dodgers fan until Manny Ramirez joined them. TAINTED. Of course, I am sure there were plenty of Dodgers who used steroids before Manny joined them. Knowing about the rampant steroid use took all the fun out of MLB for me.

8. Karol Quesinberry - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM

To market in terms of high-performance rather than cost, and in order to differentiate consequently, you want to play along the classical format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion evidently you recognise the heavy properties of the merchandise, and the price, but for place you should remember nearly the type of individuals who are willing to pay over 4x price of competing merchandise whereas the commercial option may be sold where accent is on cost, your product will be suited to places/distributors where the clients will be willing to pay for quality. Thank you for this article! I’ve just recovered a really awesome news portal about seo Examine it!

9. sweaty armpits - Feb 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Of course, what a very website moreover informative posts, I will add backlink – bookmark this web page? Regards, Reader.

10. t-shirt printing - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Hey who do you think was the best player for the Super Bowl Drew Brees? Or Jonathan Vilma?

11. Love Calculator - Feb 9, 2010 at 4:14 AM

Thanks For This News, blog was added to my bookmarks.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3412)