Oct 22, 2009, 1:30 AM EDT
In truth, the ALCS should be over already. While there’s been just the one blowout, the Yankees have outshined the Halos in every aspect of the game through four long nights of baseball.
*The Bombers are hitting .278/.375/.481 with eight homers, while the Angels have struggled to a .201/.273/.329 line.
*The Yankees’ pitching staff has an exceptional 1.032 WHIP, while the Angels are at 1.661.
*With Mark Teixeira hauling in wide throws left and right, the Yankees have committed just three errors to the Angels’ six.
Maybe the baserunning goes to the Angels, if only by default. Both teams have been abysmal, but at least the Angels have been caught stealing just once, while the Yankees have been gunned down three times in five attempts.
The Angels didn’t even seem to make a real effort in Tuesday’s Game 4. Their at-bats are getting worse by the day.
Against CC Sabathia in Game 1, the Angels saw 3.94 pitches per plate appearance. Facing A.J. Burnett and a cast of relievers in Game 2, it was 3.97. In the Game 3 victory, though, it dropped to 3.70. In the Game 4 humiliation, they were all of the way down to 3.45.
For the Angels to win the series now, they’d need to beat A.J. Burnett, Andy Petttite and Sabathia in succession. They have a realistic chance of winning Game 5 with John Lackey on the mound, but it’s doubtful that Sabathia will work again until Game 1 of the World Series. The Yankee bullpen is fully rested after the completely unnecessary off day on Wednesday, and all of the extra time off has given Joe Girardi’s crew a big advantage at the end of games, even if Girardi doesn’t know how to optimize it. At this point, it’s just a matter of whether the Yankees will wrap it up in five or six.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)