No miracle coming for these Angels

Oct 22, 2009, 1:30 AM EST

In truth, the ALCS should be over already. While there’s been just the one blowout, the Yankees have outshined the Halos in every aspect of the game through four long nights of baseball.
*The Bombers are hitting .278/.375/.481 with eight homers, while the Angels have struggled to a .201/.273/.329 line.
*The Yankees’ pitching staff has an exceptional 1.032 WHIP, while the Angels are at 1.661.
*With Mark Teixeira hauling in wide throws left and right, the Yankees have committed just three errors to the Angels’ six.
Maybe the baserunning goes to the Angels, if only by default. Both teams have been abysmal, but at least the Angels have been caught stealing just once, while the Yankees have been gunned down three times in five attempts.
The Angels didn’t even seem to make a real effort in Tuesday’s Game 4. Their at-bats are getting worse by the day.
Against CC Sabathia in Game 1, the Angels saw 3.94 pitches per plate appearance. Facing A.J. Burnett and a cast of relievers in Game 2, it was 3.97. In the Game 3 victory, though, it dropped to 3.70. In the Game 4 humiliation, they were all of the way down to 3.45.
For the Angels to win the series now, they’d need to beat A.J. Burnett, Andy Petttite and Sabathia in succession. They have a realistic chance of winning Game 5 with John Lackey on the mound, but it’s doubtful that Sabathia will work again until Game 1 of the World Series. The Yankee bullpen is fully rested after the completely unnecessary off day on Wednesday, and all of the extra time off has given Joe Girardi’s crew a big advantage at the end of games, even if Girardi doesn’t know how to optimize it. At this point, it’s just a matter of whether the Yankees will wrap it up in five or six.

1. GPrats - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM

When CC turns Rollins into Figgins……….anyway you get my point.

2. GPrats - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Let me guess…………Blue Jays

3. ladyfan - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Ah yes, the classic male comeback. When you can’t win an argument because you don’t know what you are talking about, you resort to personal nastiness. Perfectly done. You won my argument FOR me. Oh, and for the record? if you will read my comments, you will see that I never said that I myself hate the Yankees. I think hatred of any team, as a group, is beneath a true baseball fan. In face, I believe I said that you beat us, fair and square, and I offered no excuses for my team. What part of that was too complicated for you?

4. bb - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:21 PM

lady fan
    a few points. any true yankee fan does not feel entitled to win. the yankee fans who do feel that way are generally post 1996 fans who never went through the lean years that the rest of us went through.
    we WANT to win…we LOVE to win…we get upset when we DONT win and we are forever proud of our LONG HISTORY of WINNING. that doesn’t make most of us feel entitled.
    we do however, fully expect that our ownership will do what it takes to field a team that can win and expect our coaches to create a climate where that can happen. finally, we also expect or PLAYERS will play as a team, as you say, out of a love of the game and desire to win.
    when we have players who do not do that, we let them hear it (Pavano etc etc). yes these guys this year make alot of money (even the home grown ones like robbie cano..we believe in paying for performance) but they are also a team that really came together.
    so yes, i want to win. i even expect to win. i even insist on winning. i dont however feel entitled to win.
    i also have no interest in me or the team i cheer for to be better people. this is baseball not philosophy or theology.

5. Rick D - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM

A lot of you are West Coast bloggers. Fine. But the probability of the Angels coming back are remote. Sure, the Yankees lost after leading 3-0 to the Sox in the 2004 ALCS.
    But don’t you think that the series back in 2004 left a bitter taste in the four remaining players from that season? The rest of the cast is totally different and has cast indifference on that playoff blunder.
    That’s why this year’s Yankees’ team will be MUCH MUCH MORE resolved to get to the Series. Torre isn’t the complacent manager anymore…it’s a lean and hungry Girardi. And look what Torre has done in LA…he’s gotten them to the post-season but “they ain’t the same”.

6. ladyfan - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM

BB, very well spoken. YOU are a true fan with a heart for the game. It’s not fans like you than engender hatred from fans of other teams. I’m glad you want to win, expect to win, and even insist on winning. It’s certainly about time that such a talented team should show the world they CAN win. If they do that, THEN they can claim to be the best team. If they don’t, I bet I won’t see you on any blogg, whining about umpires or making any other excuses about how they SHOULD have won.
    I have no dog in this fight, my team is long out of it. So good luck to you and other fans like you.

7. GPrats - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I’m gonna puke. How about we make it personal, but not take it personal. Enough already!!!!!!!!!

8. bb - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM

hey russ
    …i guess and the red sox as well.

9. jennigrl - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:41 PM

I’m sorry but which Yankee players act like they’re ‘entitled’ to win World Championships? The attitude you are referring to is that of SOME fans, the loudest ones. A lot of us prefer to sit back, participate in the discussion, and root for our team passionately. The attitude and the ferver is not a sense of an entitlement, it’s called wanting to win badly. As a Yankee fan, I never expect to win. I hope for it, pray for it, do rain dances for it. This year feels special to me but who knows? It’s hypocritical for fans of lesser teams to hate the teams that are better at that point in time than them just for that fact. I assure you, none of us with a right mind think we are better people than you because we love the Yankees. Please spare us your misdirected frustration.
    And not for nothing, I never really had a problem with Boston or even the Red Sox other than thinking it was just a great sports rivalry until I was attacked by Red Sox fans. Way to show sportsmanship.

10. bb - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM

ladyfan
    yes you will see me on blogs if the yanks lose. however, i will be talking about what yanks did or did not do to lose. i have alot of recent experience in doing that.

11. jennigrl - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM

While I respect how steroids has tained baseball, I think you’re being a little biased against the Yankees on that one. PLENTY of teams have had players that have used, not just the Yankees. In the steroid heydey, probably a third or half of the league used in some capacity. Again, because the Yankees are targeted by the media just as much as they are darlinged, their players got exposed. FYI, when A-Rod tested positive, he wasn’t a Yankee.
    Personally, I think that list of players that tested positive is a joke. Make them ALL public. Then we’ll see what everyone has to say and the issue would be forced to the front.

12. pat - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Not a very thoughful comment. How many other players for mlb have tested positive for steroids?? How many players need astericks beside their names in the record books????? How many players in mlb were on the list compialed in 2006??????? If you want to go there then you have to acknowledge that players from ALL TEAMS have the same problem. But lets just say its a Yankee thing.
    Not too smart.

13. jim - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:51 PM

To the guy that stated the Phillies should have won more games to secure home field….it wouldn’t matter if they won all 162 games, home field is decided by the all-star game for the world series and like usual the AL took those rights like it was cool.

14. concrete jungle - Oct 22, 2009 at 4:56 PM

YANKEES WILL SPANK THE PHILTHYS, NEW YORK STYLE…..
    GET YOUR KINKY ON

15. MannysNeedle - Oct 22, 2009 at 5:21 PM

FO SHO…………SLAPPADILLY. TAKE A BREAK CHEESESTEAKS

16. SoxFan - Oct 22, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I’m not a Yankee fan but you can’t deny that they have bought themselves a winner this year. Sorry Phillies, this year belongs to the Yankees. If this was 2008, I’d agree with you 100% but with A-Rod producing and strong pitching there isn’t a chance.

17. pat - Oct 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Firstly everything you have written on this blog contains the words “hating Yankees”. Second off youn don’t sound like a fan but a preacher. And thirdly I am a female. So I really don”t think you know what you are talking about. You have proved my agrument for me!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Dave V. - Oct 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Let’s see what you have to say after the series is over (most likely tonight).

19. BronxBoi - Oct 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM

This is the Yankees year. The Angels will fall tonight or in the Bronx. Yes, the Phillies look real hot but we are playing for keeps this time and yes they the Yanks are out to avenge their loss during 2004. As far as the way people are slamming A-rod it is totally unjustified he confessed it is behind him and their is no proof that he is on steroids. We will crush the Angels and their will be a “Battle Royale” with the Phillies. Go Yankees…….

20. orlandriver - Oct 22, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I dislike the Yankees intensely but this ALCS is over, if not tonight then in game 6. However, the Phillies are jerks and will get beaten as their pitching does match up to the Yankees.

21. steve - Oct 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Really, does any team exist but the Yankees? NO WAY, THIS IS YANKEE COUNTRY!! Always has been and always will!!

22. 30Coop - Oct 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM

The past is the past. This NY team has played all 54 outs of each playoff game. So well, I’d say that they’re making Girardi look smarter than he is… and I like Joe G. These guys aren’t folding up like they did in 04. Heck, there are only a handful of those 04 cats left… so it’s not much to compare.

23. Charm - Oct 22, 2009 at 6:12 PM

the Angels may be behind– but i’ll bet they will comeback! true the Yanks have a good team this year. for the amount of money they paid for that talent, who would be surprised. but- they should test rodriguez for roids.

24. MadJoe - Oct 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Actually no in ’04 they Sux were down 3-0 and more power to them for winning the series, BUT these Angels are not the ’04 Sux no are these the ’04 yanks. Yanks do it her ein game 5 or no later than game 6.

25. Thanks4theYanks - Oct 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I hate to break your dumb mythmaking about the “mercenary” Yankees but Jeter, Cano, Posada, Melky, Hughes, Mo, Pettitte, Joba, Robertson are all home grown.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5090)