Oct 22, 2009, 8:25 AM EDT
Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen will
join Fox Sports as an analyst for the World Series. He will have
pregame and postgame duties. Guillen,
known for profanity-laced criticism of his own team at times, just
completed his sixth season as manager of the White Sox.
I know a couple of sports writers. One of them spends a fair amount of time around the White Sox. Guillen, I’m told, will hold court for long, off-the-record stretches before ballgames just talking about whatever pops into his head. Politics, entertainment, social issues, sex, race, fans in the stands during batting practice, you name it. It’s almost all hilarious and almost all 100% completely unfit for television or public consumption of any kind. The man is brutally honest, but he is the last guy I’d want to put in front of a camera to talk if I was at all worried about my job security as a television producer.
But I’m not a producer. I’m a fan who wants to be entertained. Which means that, unlike when stiffs like Kevin Kennedy and Mark Grace are the big draw, I am almost certain to watch the FOX pregame shows this year.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)