Oct 22, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT
Jim Thome wasted no time declaring his plans for 2010 following the Dodgers’ loss last night, saying after the game: “I still want to play.”
Thome had a minimal role for the Dodgers down the stretch after arriving in a trade with the White Sox, coming to the plate a grand total of just 17 times as a pinch-hitter before going 1-for-3 in the playoffs, but presumably his plans to “keep going” in 2010 involve resuming a full-time job.
At 39 years old Thome is certainly no longer a dominant offensive force, but don’t let the fact that he accepted a bench role for a contender fool you into thinking that he’s washed up.
Thome hit .249/.372/.493 with 23 homers and 74 RBIs in 107 games for the White Sox prior to the trade and finished the season with an .847 OPS in 434 plate appearances overall to rank 24th among all left-handed hitters.
He strikes out a lot, hits for a low batting average, struggles against left-handed pitching, and can’t play first base regularly, but Thome would still bring a ton of power and on-base skills to the table in a return to the AL as a DH. Consider that 12 of the league’s 14 teams got a sub-.850 OPS from their DHs this year, eight of the teams failed to crack .800, and Seattle, Kansas City, Detroit, and Tampa Bay didn’t even top .750.
If the White Sox are interested in Thome returning on a one-year deal, it sounds like that would be his preference.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)