Oct 22, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT
Jim Thome wasted no time declaring his plans for 2010 following the Dodgers’ loss last night, saying after the game: “I still want to play.”
Thome had a minimal role for the Dodgers down the stretch after arriving in a trade with the White Sox, coming to the plate a grand total of just 17 times as a pinch-hitter before going 1-for-3 in the playoffs, but presumably his plans to “keep going” in 2010 involve resuming a full-time job.
At 39 years old Thome is certainly no longer a dominant offensive force, but don’t let the fact that he accepted a bench role for a contender fool you into thinking that he’s washed up.
Thome hit .249/.372/.493 with 23 homers and 74 RBIs in 107 games for the White Sox prior to the trade and finished the season with an .847 OPS in 434 plate appearances overall to rank 24th among all left-handed hitters.
He strikes out a lot, hits for a low batting average, struggles against left-handed pitching, and can’t play first base regularly, but Thome would still bring a ton of power and on-base skills to the table in a return to the AL as a DH. Consider that 12 of the league’s 14 teams got a sub-.850 OPS from their DHs this year, eight of the teams failed to crack .800, and Seattle, Kansas City, Detroit, and Tampa Bay didn’t even top .750.
If the White Sox are interested in Thome returning on a one-year deal, it sounds like that would be his preference.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 0
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 1
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 37
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)