Bobby Valentine ain't gonna be the Indians' next manager

Oct 23, 2009, 10:26 AM EDT

Give Bobby Valentine points for honesty, but ask yourself: if you were hiring a guy for a high profile position and he said these things after the interview, would you be all that eager to give him the gig?

On rebuilding:  “I don’t know that’s exactly the thing I want to do right now, either . . . I’m not sure that’s what I want to do, but, again, I haven’t been offered a job so I don’t have to decide whether or not I definitely want to do this.”

On the state of the Indians: “I don’t know as much about Cleveland as someone interviewing for their manager’s job should. I could have crammed for the last six days and read every article and called every friend and got every little bit of information, just in case one of you guys asked me who the starting third baseman should be next year and I didn’t do it.”

On the American League: “I can tell you I don’t know about the American League. I don’t know about the Central and I don’t know about the Indians, but I sure as heck am willing to learn and spend about 28 hours a day, if necessary, to know everything I could possibly know.”

Again, in most things in life it’s better to be honest than to offer baloney, so kudos to Valentine. But interviewing for a job ain’t most things in life.  No employer wants to feel like a candidate isn’t eager for the job, and if an interviewee gave the equivalent kind of answers — “I don’t know enough about Acme Corp. as someone interviewing for the regional sales manager’s position should . . .” — they’d never get the gig.

Baseball owners are even less enamored with such brutal honesty, and I’m guessing that when the Dolans read those comments, it will sour them on Valentine.

1. Old Gator - Oct 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Another season like the last one and the city fathers of Toronto may just as likely trade the entire team to Chiba City for the Swallows. Then the entire discussion is academic.

2. comeonman - Oct 23, 2009 at 11:47 AM

YEAH, WHAT OLD GATOR SAID, WHATEVER THAT IS…….
    buh bye

3. comeonman - Oct 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM

YEAH, WHAT OLD GATOR SAID, WHATEVER THAT IS…….
    buh bye

4. docholliday - Oct 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM

why in the world would anyone want to hire bobby valentine for anything. what has he ever accomplished? what has he ever won? the only thing i remember about this clown is when he was dangling from the fence one day and kind of jacked up his leg. bobby valentine, please. i wouldn’t hire this guy to run a hotdog cart.

5. Old Gator - Oct 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM

You should have been in Japan a couple of years back when he had the Chiba Lotte Swallows in active contention for the first time since Yojimbo chewed his final toothpick. This was no small accomplishment considering that they were playing in the ugliest, draftiest, sepulchral stadium in Japan – imagine the Tropicana Dome but without any charm. That, and Bobby in his Chiba Lotte uniform was the next most popular bobblehead to Hideki Matsui in his Borg uniform at the votive offering sales booths at the Shoji Temple in Akasuka. More: everywhere you went in Tokyo, Bobby was smiling down at you from some advertising billboard, kinda like Bill Murray’s Midori ads in “Lost in Translation.”
    The guy is magic, but he needs all the crippled dwarves behind the curtains and the invisible wires and mirrors to make it all work.

6. Bobby Townsend - Oct 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Stay away from Valentine!!!! He would be a cancer to this team. Japan is a good place for him. He should stay there. Valentine thinks he is bigger than the team he manages. EARTH TO INDIANS!!!
    Stay away from him

7. Alan - Oct 23, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Why do you people even pay attention to Craig Calcaterra? He already proven that he knows nothing about baseball and write fiction in his column. I wouldn’t believe anything he says. He’s just an ignorant writer who has no class at all. His reputation is crap. Isn’t it Craig? He’s always badmouthing people, and his articles are just stupid.

8. Alan's Mom - Oct 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Alan,
    You left your medicine at home, sweetiekums. Before you get on your short-bus in the morning, you should remember to take them so you don’t go whining on-line all day like a modern-day Holden Caulfield.
    Also, so you don’t get a bad grade on your post, here are some grammatical changes for you:
    “He already proven that he knows nothing about baseball and write fiction in his column.”
    Should read:
    “He’s already proven that he knows nothing about baseball and writes fiction in his column.”
    “Isn’t it Craig?”
    Should read:
    “Isn’t it, Craig?”
    “He’s always badmouthing people, and his articles are just stupid.”
    Should read:
    “He’s always badmouthing people and his articles are just stupid.”
    Although, I compliment you on that last sentence. It was almost a respectable compound sentence. Your father and I are so proud!
    Love,
    Mom

9. Alan's Dad - Oct 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Alan,
    I am ashamed that you are my son.
    With Tears,
    Dad

10. JBerardi - Oct 23, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Give Valentine some credit. He’s doing the best possible thing he could for the Indians… encouraging them to hire Manny Acta.

11. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Alan, you can keep posting that stuff and I can keep deleting it all day. Or you can grow up and actually contribute something to the discussion of baseball beyond simply talking about how much you hate me.
    If you keep it up, I’m going to ban your IP address.

12. Alan - Oct 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Craig your the one who started with mothers! You don’t like it do you? You like attacking somebody’s mother, but if it’s yours, its a different story? It seems to me that you don’t care who you attack or how. When someone questions your ability to write a fair and balanced article or an article that attacks someone family life its okay for you to do it. I thought about how you would feel if someone attacked you, and your parents the way you attacked my mother. Now we know all about you and who you are. I can see now that your not a man of principal or integrity.
    If you feel that banning my IP address is in your best interest you will. Who knows maybe you’ll make an apology for starting this.

13. Alan - Oct 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM

14. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Please. What are you, seven? If you get bent out of shape following an obviously ridiculous “yo momma” joke two weeks ago you need to get a grip. And you were whining and complaining about everything and anyone before I even did that. If you hate it here, buzz off. If you don’t, grow up and try to add something to the conversation.
    And note: the “Alan’s mom” stuff above was not written by me. It was written by other readers who think you’re acting like a child.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5037)