Oct 23, 2009, 10:26 AM EDT
Give Bobby Valentine points for honesty, but ask yourself: if you were hiring a guy for a high profile position and he said these things after the interview, would you be all that eager to give him the gig?
On rebuilding: “I don’t know that’s exactly the thing I want to do right now, either . . . I’m not sure that’s what I want to do, but, again, I haven’t been offered a job so I don’t have to decide whether or not I definitely want to do this.”
On the state of the Indians: “I don’t know as much about Cleveland as someone interviewing for their manager’s job should. I could have crammed for the last six days and read every article and called every friend and got every little bit of information, just in case one of you guys asked me who the starting third baseman should be next year and I didn’t do it.”
On the American League: “I can tell you I don’t know about the American League. I don’t know about the Central and I don’t know about the Indians, but I sure as heck am willing to learn and spend about 28 hours a day, if necessary, to know everything I could possibly know.”
Again, in most things in life it’s better to be honest than to offer baloney, so kudos to Valentine. But interviewing for a job ain’t most things in life. No employer wants to feel like a candidate isn’t eager for the job, and if an interviewee gave the equivalent kind of answers — “I don’t know enough about Acme Corp. as someone interviewing for the regional sales manager’s position should . . .” — they’d never get the gig.
Baseball owners are even less enamored with such brutal honesty, and I’m guessing that when the Dolans read those comments, it will sour them on Valentine.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)