Oct 23, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
Tony La Russa remains undecided about returning as Cardinals manager next season, but hinted yesterday that he’s leaning toward coming back and added that “it won’t be long” before he makes a decision:
I think I know where things lead but I want to be sure. I want to be honest. I want it to be genuine. … You’re not a player. This isn’t free agency where you can wait until the end of the World Series to decide.
You’re a member of your organization’s staff. You’re a complementary part of the organization. I’m encouraged and feel good about the conversations I’ve had with some of the players. All that’s left is to check the fire in your gut. That shouldn’t take long.
If the 65-year-old manager returns he’ll likely bring longtime pitching coach Dave Duncan back with him, so general manager John Mozeliak is being patient:
I understand he wanted some time to take a step back. He has a process he’s going through. We understand that. We speak on a fairly regular basis, and it’s about the future. That leads me to think optimistically about where things are headed. I’m not going to put a line in the sand about this. But we did talk about this not getting too far away. Sooner is better than later. Tony knows that as well as anyone.
La Russa and the Cardinals seem sort of blindsided by their first-round playoff sweep at the hands of the Dodgers, but losing three straight games to another good team is hardly the end of the world and he’s guided St. Louis to the postseason in seven of the past 10 years. He’ll be back and the Cardinals will be strong contenders again in 2010, although Mozeliak will have a very busy offseason in the meantime.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)