Oct 23, 2009, 12:37 PM EDT
David Brown of Yahoo! Sports put together all the amusing screen captures of the doofus Angels fan who went swimming in the outfield waterfall last night.
Security took their sweet time chasing after him, so the guy was basically able to go through an entire routine of jumps and dives, finishing each move with that same hands-in-the-air pose Olympic gymnasts have when they successfully land on the mat.
You’d assume that someone willing to go swimming in a waterfall built on rocks in the outfield of a ballpark would have been motivated by the copious amounts of booze running through them, but amazingly police said afterward that 29-year-old Jose Cervera wasn’t even drunk.
Of course, isn’t it actually worse if you’re acting like that and you’re not even drunk? If he wasn’t drunk then he’s just an idiot. But then again I guess we knew that already. Anyway, Cervera initially seemed like bad luck when the Angels coughed up a 4-0 lead soon after his performance, but then they stormed back to win 7-6.
Sure, he was probably in a holding cell by the time Brian Fuentes wriggled out of the ninth-inning jam, but there’s no need to get technical about good-luck charms. I’m really hoping this guy becomes the new Rally Monkey.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39