Oct 23, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Frank Russo at the New York Baseball Digest blog gets some Yankee response to that story about Matt Holliday wanting to play for the Yankees:
Our main Yankees source down it Tampa informed us last night that, at this time, Yankees management has no interest in getting involved in the Matt Holliday sweepstakes. “It’s way too early,” our source told us. “Brian (Cashman) has a lot of decisions to make, especially with Matsui and Damon.”I don’t care how bad the kid wants to play for the Yanks, Scott (Boras) will be asking for the moon and they’re not going to break the bank for him.”
Which may be true. Of course they said the same kinds of things about Johnny Damon and Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez and just about every other free agent they’ve pursued in the past.
Which is really smart. The Yankees get a lot of crap for just going out and buying talent, but it’s not like they’re always out there setting the market. They often let other teams weigh in, get a range of offers out there, and then come in and offer a bit more. I think they bid against themselves with the Alex Rodriguez extension, but in all other cases, they waited everyone else out, as a smart bidder should.
I have no idea if Holliday will actually end up in New York, but if he does, it won’t be because the Yankees pursue him like some lovestruck teenager.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)