New Yankee Stadium already showing cracks

Oct 24, 2009, 1:22 PM EST

It seems the Yankees’ new $1.5 billion city-subsidized stadium is beginning to show cracks,
just six months after its debut. The team has recently fallen under
scrutiny for cracks in the concrete pedestrian ramps — some as much as
an inch wide and several feet long — prompting the team to hire an
engineering company to determine whether the problems were caused by
the installation, the design, the concrete or other factors.

On the bright side, Alice McGillion, a team spokeswoman, called the cracks
“cosmetic,” saying that they pose no safety issues because they did
not affect the structural integrity of the ramps.

“There is no evidence that there is any issue or problem with concrete or any material in the building,” she said.

Interstate Industrial Corporation, the company that poured the
concrete, was banned from doing city work in 2004 because city
investigators
concluded it had ties to organized crime, an accusation its owners have
denied.

Interstate may sound familiar since they are currently front-and-center
in the trial of former Giuliani Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik. According to the Village Voice, Kerik is accused of accepting $165,000 in renovations on his Riverdale apartment from the
DiTomasso brothers — the principals of Interstate — in return for
recommending them for city contracts they were barred from.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the company that evaluated the strength
of the concrete poured for the walkways, Testwell Laboratories, its
owners and several officers were indicted last year on state
racketeering charges. It’s unclear whether the team will have to tear
out any of the concrete in the ramps in question, however, according to
the New York Times, the problem could cost several million dollars to
fix.

1. Thad - Nov 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Henry Ford actually came up with the 40 hour work week. His first effort at retaining his good workers was to double their salaries to $5 an hour and a 48 hour work week, but management later shortened that to 40 hours in the 1920s. This was done voluntarily and was aimed at retaining good workers and giving them enough wages so that they could actually afford to buy a Ford.

2. Matthew - Nov 11, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I think they should spend a little more money on there stadium and not there players.

3. jaymen - Nov 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

As someone who has dealt with NYC concrete companies, I have NO doubt it was watered down crap pushed by “Tony” I wish people knew how far reaching and much damage this “organization” does to America… which is funny, because many of them claim to be patriotic… yet, that hurt decent hard working American evey chance they get

4. Bob Oblaw - Dec 5, 2009 at 12:08 AM

There are two kinds of concrete.
    1. That which is cracked.
    2. That which will crack.

5. Perry - Dec 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM

yea nice Work :D

6. the day the earth stood still - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:39 PM

What’s happend? I have to keep Refreshing the page to even be able to view the post can someone fix this issue please?

7. The Day The Earth Stood Still - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM

8. The Day The Earth Stood Still - Dec 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM

This page wasnt working earlier i tried accesing it but it timed out 4-5 times now i can access it. Why Does this happen? Am i the only one having this issue?

9. Residential mailboxes - Jan 9, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Hello. This is kind of an “unconventional” question , but have other visitors asked you how get the menu bar to look like you’ve got it? I also have a blog and am really looking to alter around the theme, however am scared to death to mess with it for fear of the search engines punishing me. I am very new to all of this …so i am just not positive exactly how to try to to it all yet. I’ll just keep working on it one day at a time Thanks for any help you can offer here

10. short term car insurance - Feb 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Hi, Just supposed I’d let you know your website is displaying funny in my Opera browser. Looks good from what I can see however.

11. MILTON SYKES - Feb 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

This site was well done. I have been searching for just this kind of site.I am indebted for this information.

12. NICK ODONNELL - Feb 8, 2010 at 8:21 AM

The above blog was great. I have been looking for just this sort of site.I am appreciative for this information.

13. internet speed tester - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I guess I’m going to need to do some more research, but this is a pretty good spring board.

14. zynga poker hacks - Feb 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM

i was beginning to think that i might possibly end up being the sole woman which cared about this, at the least now i comprehend i’m not mad :) i am going to make sure to check out a number other posts after i get some caffeine in me, it can be very difficult to read with out my coffee, cheers :)

15. facebook poker chips - Feb 19, 2010 at 1:04 AM

i may not have guessed this had been cool one or two years back then again it is surprising exactly how years evolves the manner of how you perceive abnormal ideas, many thanks for the piece of writing it is actually great to browse through some thing clever once in a while in lieu of the basic crap mascarading as information sites on the web, cheers

16. Commercial Mailbox - Feb 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I’m quite new to wordpress. but what you write in this post is really good and very informative. I think it will help me in the future. Thanks for the great work.

17. Michigan Fire Damage - Mar 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM

way cool. way cool.
    Michigan Fire Damage

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5499)