New Yankee Stadium already showing cracks

Oct 24, 2009, 1:22 PM EDT

It seems the Yankees’ new $1.5 billion city-subsidized stadium is beginning to show cracks,
just six months after its debut. The team has recently fallen under
scrutiny for cracks in the concrete pedestrian ramps — some as much as
an inch wide and several feet long — prompting the team to hire an
engineering company to determine whether the problems were caused by
the installation, the design, the concrete or other factors.

On the bright side, Alice McGillion, a team spokeswoman, called the cracks
“cosmetic,” saying that they pose no safety issues because they did
not affect the structural integrity of the ramps.

“There is no evidence that there is any issue or problem with concrete or any material in the building,” she said.

Interstate Industrial Corporation, the company that poured the
concrete, was banned from doing city work in 2004 because city
investigators
concluded it had ties to organized crime, an accusation its owners have
denied.

Interstate may sound familiar since they are currently front-and-center
in the trial of former Giuliani Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik. According to the Village Voice, Kerik is accused of accepting $165,000 in renovations on his Riverdale apartment from the
DiTomasso brothers — the principals of Interstate — in return for
recommending them for city contracts they were barred from.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the company that evaluated the strength
of the concrete poured for the walkways, Testwell Laboratories, its
owners and several officers were indicted last year on state
racketeering charges. It’s unclear whether the team will have to tear
out any of the concrete in the ramps in question, however, according to
the New York Times, the problem could cost several million dollars to
fix.

1. dlp - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM

There are no good unions.

2. Just Joe - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM

No Mike, its not. A kickback is where someone requires that you give them a part of their pay in order to keep their job. What that payment was – was good negotiating by the CEO of Wyeth. You see, union dues used to be illegal – as a kickback – and thats the reason why the right to work states have their rules as they do. Those states think that job should not require that you kickback part of your pay to someone else for the right to work . . .
    They built the OLD stadium without union labor, computers or modern techniques and it lasted 50 years in a hostile damp climate until it was renovated in the 1970’s – that 1970’s renovation was like this one – fraught with fraud, kickbacks and poor workmanship and shoddy materials for ten times the inflation adjusted cost of the first one. That one lasted 30 years and truly needed to be torn down because it was falling apart. Thems facts – not my opinion.

3. Hah - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM

USA-Unions should require all members drive/buy American. Nothing worse than complaining about jobs/$$$, then buying import everything.

4. bh0673 - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I have noticed it, it is one the ramp off gate 6. It is the only place I have seen it but does stand out. I agree it is more cosmetic.

5. Willis Jefferson - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Nothing like a bunch of fat mobsters getting paid to sit around and eat.

6. Mike - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Hey Joe I graduated highschool and a 2 year degree that did’nt work for me then I joined a union a did another 5 years of school there so I don’t understand your point

7. Dick Hertz - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM

HOW MANY UNION GUYS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB?
    12, YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!?!?!?

8. steve replying to Mike who replied to a comment from Adam - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Mike, before you point fingers to someone regarding “education”, will you kindly read what you wrote in those two lines today, #18 at 2:45pm?
    Your English, sorry to say is horrible, and it doesn’t deserve being published as a blog here. Kindly think before you write something like you did. It simply made no sense, and it was embarassing to read, period! Kindly bone up on your English, grammar and whatever it takes for you to write decently. THANK YOU!

9. Philly John - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Unions were a necessity at one time in this country but they have now outlived their usefulness. There is more legislation to protect the worker than any union can provide. Unions are in existence for one reason, to provide jobs for the union leadership and nothing more.
    As to the concrete, the Phillies park doesn’t seem to have those problems. THere are no cracks in our concrete or in our team, which will defeat either the Yankees or the Angels, whichever one represents the American League.
    GO PHILLIES !!!!

10. Jack Bond - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:29 PM

And why are they going overseas? Because they haven’t unionized over there, so the workers are treated the way they are always treated when they haven’t unionized, like dirt. If you want to see the US be a third world country, go ahead, bust up all the unions, and continue to treat corporations like some mystical royalty.

11. Mike - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Hey Steve I’m not claiming to be a english major how about commenting on the topic of discussion

12. mike - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:30 PM

union is horse and buggy that ran out in fornt of car and caused huge financial wreck……..BUDDY……..hell with the union

13. heywood jablome - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM

HA! That’s a good one. Here’s one that I have: A union boss’ bedtime story to kis kids-“Once upon a freakin’ time and a half, this scab crossed the picket line, so me and my two friends named Vito got our baseball bats broke that guy’s legs. And the moral of this story is KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!”

14. Bill - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM

IF THEIR WERE NO UNIONS YOU WOULD BE A SLAVE

15. C Mac - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM

If there were no unions, things would go back to being, well, China pretty fast. If unions were SO passe’ and ineffectual, you wouldn’t see the largest retailer in the entire world (Wal Mart) fighting so hard to keep them out. Are there lazy union workers? Of course. Just like there are a bunch of lazy non-union workers. The difference is that a union worker WILL be able to retire from a non-college job they worked hard at for 30 years with enough money to enjoy their remaining days. How many of you taking shots at unions either have college-level jobs or have less than 20k in your 401k’s? Unions aren’t bad. They are as good as the people in them. Many good Americans belong to unions.

16. pat - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM

whats with all the anti union crap? lets all go back in time and due away eith the union, then you will see where you are at today, no overtime, no medical, no fmla, no vacation, maybe $5.00 / hour, no saftey minded companys, oh and i really dont like what you are wareing today go home and don t bother comeing back. Unions have gotten all of these rights plus many many more. You complain about the auto workers maken big$$$ but the owners are maken more big$$ and still can aford the wages. I would thank anybody in the AFLICO for protecting me and my rights i have .

17. pmca - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:43 PM

CONSIDER THIS: Amatuers built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic

18. Just Joe - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Mike – when communicating a thought, you need to make it clear exactly what you are saying. Your comment contained incorrect use of your and you’re, misspellings, poor grammar, was hard to read. If you want to convince someone of your opinion, they need to understand a) what are saying and b) that you are someone whose opinion is meaningful. Your post made you look like a midwest high school graduate who works for manufacturing company who never paid attention in 8th grade English and Grammar and who works for the post office. I have the image in my mind, and most folks in that profession are not people I would look to for a cognent discourse on the benefits and burdens of union membership . . .

19. adam - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Consider this: The Ark never existed.
    As to my education comment, all I have to do is look arounf where I live (NYC) where corrupt unions (MTA, anyone) can hold the city hostage. I also know that, since I have a graduate degree with more years of training than most union workers, whil still making significantly less than many of these workers, I am allowed to complain as much as I want. In this country, only certain workforces are seen as entitled to worker protection, pensions, etc.

20. RayDart - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Just wait this the bodies start popping up through the cracks!

21. Steven - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM

hey dlp- up yours! The union that supports me kicks asssss! maybe you like being underpaid, or maybe you’re an employer who likes to underpay his employees, but I’ll be union til the day I die. and the Yankees WILL beat the angels. mark my words

22. Mike - Oct 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM

As I replied to steve I’m not a english major but I believe my point is clear. What I do is work hard to support myself and my family and being a union member has given me the oppoturnity to do so and I’m proud of that.

23. Matt - Oct 24, 2009 at 4:10 PM

This is what the Yanks get for building a stadium under the name of a partially government-owned, bailed-out bank.

24. George - Oct 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Adam,
    The fact that you “have a graduate degree and more years of training than union workers but still make significantly less money” DOES NOT give you the right to complain. You have nobody to blame but yourself for your misfortunes. If you were worth more than 20k to an employer, you’d be paid more than 20k. The problem with this country are people like YOU who think they are ENTITLED to a certain job because their parents were able to afford to send them to college. Eventually you’ll realize your business degree means nothing and you actually need to provide VALUE if you want to be paid well. Leave unions out of it. And this is coming from a fellow white collar citizen.

25. Doug - Oct 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Why has no one gotten the point that this stadium was built with tax dollars. Isn’t it amazing that no one here is complaining about spending tax dollars to provide corporate welfare and yet we argue tooth and nail about providing decent health care for all citizens calling that socialism. Remember capitalism works until it doesn’t then the government has to step in to clean up the mess. Isn’t democracy great!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3313)