New Yankee Stadium already showing cracks

Oct 24, 2009, 1:22 PM EDT

It seems the Yankees’ new $1.5 billion city-subsidized stadium is beginning to show cracks,
just six months after its debut. The team has recently fallen under
scrutiny for cracks in the concrete pedestrian ramps — some as much as
an inch wide and several feet long — prompting the team to hire an
engineering company to determine whether the problems were caused by
the installation, the design, the concrete or other factors.

On the bright side, Alice McGillion, a team spokeswoman, called the cracks
“cosmetic,” saying that they pose no safety issues because they did
not affect the structural integrity of the ramps.

“There is no evidence that there is any issue or problem with concrete or any material in the building,” she said.

Interstate Industrial Corporation, the company that poured the
concrete, was banned from doing city work in 2004 because city
investigators
concluded it had ties to organized crime, an accusation its owners have
denied.

Interstate may sound familiar since they are currently front-and-center
in the trial of former Giuliani Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik. According to the Village Voice, Kerik is accused of accepting $165,000 in renovations on his Riverdale apartment from the
DiTomasso brothers — the principals of Interstate — in return for
recommending them for city contracts they were barred from.

As if that wasn’t bad enough, the company that evaluated the strength
of the concrete poured for the walkways, Testwell Laboratories, its
owners and several officers were indicted last year on state
racketeering charges. It’s unclear whether the team will have to tear
out any of the concrete in the ramps in question, however, according to
the New York Times, the problem could cost several million dollars to
fix.

1. Shannon - Oct 24, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Im pretty sure no bank has no-show gigs. In theory, unions are good. In practice, they lead to inefficiency and ultimately lower wages and higher prices for the populace. The fact that unions are the employers for contractors illustrates just how corrupt they have gotten. Unions are supposed to be company employees banded together for one voice, not a conglomerate of unions with forced membership, forced dues, open ballots so you can be chastised for voting against them. Unions are an extra layer of management for each company. They eliminate competition (with many documented cases being through violent means) by mandating union membership and protesting/picketing businesses that have the gall to not use union labor.

2. Shannon - Oct 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Why are Boston, Providence, New York, Newark, and Chicago all extremely corrupt cities? Is it any coincidence they are all liberal and highly unionized?

3. Kevin - Oct 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM

who the hell cares. its built, done and those idiots in nyc have paid for it. Show me some concrete that isnt cracked and it will be tomorrow. it happens get the F over it.

4. Kevin - Oct 24, 2009 at 9:56 PM

All major city governments are corrupt. Why do you think those yeah whos run for office, it aint to serve the general public, its to line their pockets.

5. Peter - Oct 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM

You should come to Kansas Shitty and see the shoddy work being done at Camerohead stadium. Water lines run in unprotected and unheated areas, waste lines that run up hill with chinese cast iron pipe. Chinese made faucets that will not last the season, toilets that dont clear the bowl, and this is just the plumbing that I saw when doing an inspection of the facility.
    Sad Sad Sad. Oh yeah all installed by union contractors and kick backs made to reps for the product lines and to the contractors as well. Jackson County funded job and not one Jackson county manufacturer of product or any Missouri manufacturer of product used.

6. Marty - Oct 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Cant agree more with the poor union quality. A nonunion contractor is held to the highest standard but if a union contractor does a bad job its ok and everybody is afraid to say something. When are people in this country going to realize that the unions today have nothing to offer. This is another great example of a turner construcion project.

7. Nick Knight - Oct 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

How much of this concrete was not usable?
    Once the concrete is preparted it has to be
    used in a certain period of time.

8. JohnB - Oct 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Well said Kevin – no game so the news hounds are looking to get their nobel some other way.

9. Ed - Oct 24, 2009 at 11:57 PM

If there was no union pay scale, employers would pay minimum wage! Get over it.

10. Jon - Oct 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Just Joe needs to take a flying leap. You are an arrogant POS. How’s my grammar?

11. Jere - Oct 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I have stood in front of the my wifes local president and told him and everyone in the office that they are nothing but a bunch of moeny sucking leaches. They have no problem taking my wifes monthily dues but when comes to givings us a hand with our insurance that I must add keeps costing more every year they do nothing and say there is not anything they can do.The thing is that the insurance hand book states that is it covered but for the 5 yrs we have had to pay for the tests out of our pocket.
    Thank You very little United Food & Commercial Workers Union

12. DAK - Oct 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM

How very typical of New York where unions control all the labor contracts.

13. David - Oct 25, 2009 at 6:21 AM

It is so amusing to me how many people worry about Obama moving the country toward socialism. We are there! We have many institutions in this country that are intended to “spread the wealth.” Public schools, public libraries, public highways, and yes, unions.

14. Steve Clark - Oct 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

You pointed out a specific issue concerning you and your familys medical problems. An issue SPECIFIC to you, therefore all unions every where are corrupt, lazy, good for nothing, uneducated, beer swilling slobs; unlike the companies we may work for. Of course all business owners and CEO’s treat their help with dignity and honesty. I say again, where were you when your country needed help. Were you there in DC or New York? Have you ever helped your community; let alone your country. Men and women in uniform fight our wars and stand watch to protect all of us. Is it because they’re union or non-union? It’s not. It’s because they’re trained for the job. I and many like me are trained for the job with 4 years of apprenticeship and a lifetime of work experience. Your wife may be a cracker jack member of her local but monthly dues come from us all, healthy or ill. Are their instances of malfeasance, corruption, denial of care in any unions benefits package, of course there is. These things are run by people; just like the big banks that have taken bailout money. Just like the big insurance companies and a hundred other examples. Unions are crooked but big business flys to Congressional hearing in private jets to ask for money. Big Wall St. firms continue to give bonuses for work that is subsidized by all of us through our tax dollars but that’s OK. That’s just business; the big boys know that they’re doing. Of course your wifes denial of service doesn’t happen to any one else in this country; whether union or non-union.
    I’m sorry for your situation. I hope those jerks at her hall will come through for you guys. Stay after’em. Don’t blame everyone else for it though.

15. Steven - Oct 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM

oops, sorry. I was talking about in the real world, not some scenario you made up in your mind while you were sitting behind your keyboard while, as you would say, spanking your monkey. But if that’s what makes you feel like a man, go for it. obviously we don’t agree on unionism. I’ll just take my higher rate of pay, safer working conditions, paid holidays, and overtime, and go my way and you go back to your scab labor conditions. Have fun with that.
    As far as your comments about the Yankees, I only have one thing to say- How’s Detroit doin? You’re as stupid about baseball as you are about organized labor. UNION AND PROUD IN NYC AND LOVING IT!

16. Terry - Oct 25, 2009 at 11:48 AM

FYI – I am a retired union laborer – 36 years. During that time I worked in 8 different states all over the country – one coast to the other. I wasn’t the best, I wasn’t the worst. But I did show up every day for work, I did try to do my best every day – I was a good laborer, and I was, and remain, a good union man. Prior to joining the Union I put in 3 years and 4 months in the Navy.
    It is a simple fact that in every Local I belonged to there was nepotism. So it was and so it shall be, and for anyone to say that that is unusual is just foolish – it is present in almost any organization.
    But – Because I was a UNION laborer I have a good pension these days. I have, in fact, three of them because of the fact that I worked all over the country, and it would be four – but I got a one-time cash settlement from the fourth. Throw in a nice SS check every month and I now make about 13K per year more than I made in my best year.
    Needless to say, (but I will!) it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!
    Yes, I am blessed – I know that. Yes, the Clinton Administration made a sweetheart deal with LIUNA – they could police their own house – in 1995 in return for campaign funding. Yes I know that. A lot of the other unions are crooked – I know that too.
    The screwups at Yankee Stadium – They sure do make the unions look bad and those responsible for them should be ashamed of themselves.
    Other famous union screwups, such as the Big Dig in Boston – those responsible for them should be ashamed of themselves.
    But I would rather belong to a crooked union than no union at all.

17. Joey - Oct 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM

im 12 and never thought they should of built a “new” yankee stadium and i still dont think its better then the old one and concrete doesnt always get cracks the old yankee stadium that got rebuilt in the 70s and there wasnt near as many cracks as there is now and it could be from not enough support or thermal cracks when it drys out and cracks but i think its babe ruth saying somthing

18. soupy - Oct 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Go Yankees

19. tinfoilman - Oct 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Dude, THEY are watching YOU, THEY know who YOU are and what YOU do..
    be very careful, PLACE A PIECE OF TIN FOIL IN YOUR LEFT POCKET
    AND A PIECE IN YOUR RIGHT SHOE, THIS WILL HELP BALANCE EARTH.
    I WILL CONTACT YOU IN THREE DAY’S WITH FURTHER INFO.

20. comeonman - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:24 PM

LIKE THE CONCRETE, YOU ARE CRACKED…….

21. jay-z - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM

CONCRETE JUNGLE WHERE DREAMS MADE OF…….

22. Me - Oct 27, 2009 at 9:55 AM

AMEN!

23. comeonman - Oct 27, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I’m NOT A UNION MAN, BUT I WISH YOU WELL, YOU DESERVE TO GET WHAT YOU WORK FOR.I HAVE NO ENVY FOR YOU, I’M SURE YOU SACRIFICED ALOT.
    ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT!!!

24. Marla Jenkins - Oct 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Toilets in the ladies rest room in new Yankee Stadium were constantly clogged and overflowing during the regular season this year. It turned out Yankee fan bittchez were flushing their tampons, syringes, and fetuses down the commodes. Disgusting!

25. Joe Buck - Nov 1, 2009 at 12:20 AM

A education?….a education?….5 years in training…a education?…com’on man!

Three legends off to Cooperstown