Lee to start Game 1 of the World Series, then what?

Oct 25, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT

Charlie Manuel surprised nobody on Sunday, announcing that Cliff Lee will start Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday night,
against either the Yankees or the Angels. Lee has been everything the
Phillies hoped he would be and then some this postseason, going 2-0
with an 0.74 ERA and 0.70 WHIP over three starts.

But what was more telling was what
he didn’t say. Manuel refused to commit to Cole Hamels for the Game 2
assignment. After compiling a 4.32 ERA and 1.29 WHIP during the regular
season, last year’s World Series MVP has a 6.75 ERA over three starts
in the 2009 postseason. He has served up an alarming six home runs in
14 2/3 innings.

Though Manuel continues to hedge,
Pedro Martinez is a real possibility to start Game 2. Asked who he
would rather face in the World Series,
it wasn’t hard for him to reveal his preference.

“I respect the Yankees. I love the Yankees. But I would love to beat them as bad as I look forward to them,” Martinez said.

Reminded of his long history with the Yankees, Martinez smiled and said: “Really? They have a long history with me.”

Martinez was brilliant in Game 2 of
the NLDS vs. the Dodgers, allowing just two hits over seven shutout
frames. Martinez hasn’t faced his former rivals since last June 27 as a
member of the Mets.

1. John - Oct 26, 2009 at 1:17 AM

PHILLIES IN SIX!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

2. char in miami - Oct 26, 2009 at 1:39 AM

well john – we’ll have to just wait and see. of course if the yankees can keep chamberlain and burnett OFF the mound – they will have an easy time of it.
    go yankees.

3. Mike Schmidt - Oct 26, 2009 at 9:33 AM

The Yankees and their fans seem to have the World Series wrapped up, and that was even before they won the ALCS. The Phillies just might have something to say about that. Winning in NY will curse the Yankees new stadium… Like John said, Phillies in 6.

4. mike - Oct 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

John, what happened to Angels in 7?! I marked your words dude, and then you were wrong! I’m so disappointed… but let’s hope you are as right about the world series as you were about the ALCS. Keep up the good work man, Yankees fans appreciate it.

5. Pilothawkeye - Oct 26, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I am a long time Yankees’ fan, and I am not predicting anything, except the Phillies definitely have me VERY worried. While the Phillies’ bats have been very active during the post season, the Yankees’ bats, with the exception of A-Rod (KILLS me to say this), and 10-1 in game 4, have been mostly silent.
    Assuming that Joe G. wants CC for games 1, 4, and 7, there will be a HUGE problem with the pitching rotation for the other 4 games. In my opinion, here is why:
    Game 1: CC on 5 days rest
    Game 2: AJ on 5 days rest
    Game 3: Andy on 5 days rest
    so far, so good, NOW comes the problem:
    Game 4: CC on 3 days rest (this is ok)
    Game 5: AJ on 3 days rest (I don’t think so)
    So, if you move AJ to Game 6, who do you pitch in game 5??????
    If you have AJ starting Game 6, does this mean Andy misses his 2nd start?, or do you have Andy start Game 7, and CC come in if needed?
    The Game 5 pitching decision will be interesting to say the least.

6. jen - Oct 27, 2009 at 12:43 PM

thank you for actually giving the phillies the respect that they deserve i appreciate that alot. we are under estimated ALOT and we shouldn’t be, we have proved ourselves time and time again, i think it is going to be a great series and of course being a phillies fan i think we will take it in 6. i think that people take our boys too lightly and then well, you know what happens after that bc look at where we are. here’s to a good series and a good fight, but i am behind my boys 100% – see you guys tomorrow night at game 1

Three legends off to Cooperstown