Oct 25, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT
Charlie Manuel surprised nobody on Sunday, announcing that Cliff Lee will start Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday night,
against either the Yankees or the Angels. Lee has been everything the
Phillies hoped he would be and then some this postseason, going 2-0
with an 0.74 ERA and 0.70 WHIP over three starts.
But what was more telling was what
he didn’t say. Manuel refused to commit to Cole Hamels for the Game 2
assignment. After compiling a 4.32 ERA and 1.29 WHIP during the regular
season, last year’s World Series MVP has a 6.75 ERA over three starts
in the 2009 postseason. He has served up an alarming six home runs in
14 2/3 innings.
Though Manuel continues to hedge,
Pedro Martinez is a real possibility to start Game 2. Asked who he
would rather face in the World Series, it wasn’t hard for him to reveal his preference.
“I respect the Yankees. I love the Yankees. But I would love to beat them as bad as I look forward to them,” Martinez said.
Reminded of his long history with the Yankees, Martinez smiled and said: “Really? They have a long history with me.”
Martinez was brilliant in Game 2 of
the NLDS vs. the Dodgers, allowing just two hits over seven shutout
frames. Martinez hasn’t faced his former rivals since last June 27 as a
member of the Mets.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)