Oct 26, 2009, 8:55 AM EST
This hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone else feel like they got the ALCS MVP call wrong? To be sure, both guys had an outstanding series:
A-Rod: .429, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, game-tying shot in the 11th inning of Game 2;
Sabathia: 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 16 IP, 12 K.
But so often these calls are storyline things, aren’t they? If you told me before the playoffs began that Sabathia was going to have two strong starts in the ALCS that wouldn’t have necessarily surprised me as much as if you told me that A-Rod was going to be a close to dominating offensive force. A-Rod’s emergence as a postseason stud and clutch performer has to be the biggest story of the series, doesn’t it?
I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but it seems that a co-MVP was at least in order.
UPDATE: According to Cot’s, A-Rod would have received $150K if he had been named the ALCS MVP. That’s a lot of money for you and me, but it’s pocket change for Rodriguez. Still, I wonder how many of the MVP voters knew, off the top of their heads, that he was going to be out that dough based on their vote . . .
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)