Oct 26, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
This hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone else feel like they got the ALCS MVP call wrong? To be sure, both guys had an outstanding series:
A-Rod: .429, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, game-tying shot in the 11th inning of Game 2;
Sabathia: 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 16 IP, 12 K.
But so often these calls are storyline things, aren’t they? If you told me before the playoffs began that Sabathia was going to have two strong starts in the ALCS that wouldn’t have necessarily surprised me as much as if you told me that A-Rod was going to be a close to dominating offensive force. A-Rod’s emergence as a postseason stud and clutch performer has to be the biggest story of the series, doesn’t it?
I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but it seems that a co-MVP was at least in order.
UPDATE: According to Cot’s, A-Rod would have received $150K if he had been named the ALCS MVP. That’s a lot of money for you and me, but it’s pocket change for Rodriguez. Still, I wonder how many of the MVP voters knew, off the top of their heads, that he was going to be out that dough based on their vote . . .
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 33
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)