Oct 26, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
This hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone else feel like they got the ALCS MVP call wrong? To be sure, both guys had an outstanding series:
A-Rod: .429, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, game-tying shot in the 11th inning of Game 2;
Sabathia: 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 16 IP, 12 K.
But so often these calls are storyline things, aren’t they? If you told me before the playoffs began that Sabathia was going to have two strong starts in the ALCS that wouldn’t have necessarily surprised me as much as if you told me that A-Rod was going to be a close to dominating offensive force. A-Rod’s emergence as a postseason stud and clutch performer has to be the biggest story of the series, doesn’t it?
I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but it seems that a co-MVP was at least in order.
UPDATE: According to Cot’s, A-Rod would have received $150K if he had been named the ALCS MVP. That’s a lot of money for you and me, but it’s pocket change for Rodriguez. Still, I wonder how many of the MVP voters knew, off the top of their heads, that he was going to be out that dough based on their vote . . .
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)