Oct 26, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
This hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone else feel like they got the ALCS MVP call wrong? To be sure, both guys had an outstanding series:
A-Rod: .429, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, game-tying shot in the 11th inning of Game 2;
Sabathia: 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 16 IP, 12 K.
But so often these calls are storyline things, aren’t they? If you told me before the playoffs began that Sabathia was going to have two strong starts in the ALCS that wouldn’t have necessarily surprised me as much as if you told me that A-Rod was going to be a close to dominating offensive force. A-Rod’s emergence as a postseason stud and clutch performer has to be the biggest story of the series, doesn’t it?
I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but it seems that a co-MVP was at least in order.
UPDATE: According to Cot’s, A-Rod would have received $150K if he had been named the ALCS MVP. That’s a lot of money for you and me, but it’s pocket change for Rodriguez. Still, I wonder how many of the MVP voters knew, off the top of their heads, that he was going to be out that dough based on their vote . . .
- Carlos Beltran diagnosed with facial fractures after batting practice mishap 7
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 27
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (169)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)