Oct 26, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
This hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone else feel like they got the ALCS MVP call wrong? To be sure, both guys had an outstanding series:
A-Rod: .429, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, game-tying shot in the 11th inning of Game 2;
Sabathia: 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 16 IP, 12 K.
But so often these calls are storyline things, aren’t they? If you told me before the playoffs began that Sabathia was going to have two strong starts in the ALCS that wouldn’t have necessarily surprised me as much as if you told me that A-Rod was going to be a close to dominating offensive force. A-Rod’s emergence as a postseason stud and clutch performer has to be the biggest story of the series, doesn’t it?
I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but it seems that a co-MVP was at least in order.
UPDATE: According to Cot’s, A-Rod would have received $150K if he had been named the ALCS MVP. That’s a lot of money for you and me, but it’s pocket change for Rodriguez. Still, I wonder how many of the MVP voters knew, off the top of their heads, that he was going to be out that dough based on their vote . . .
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 1
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)