A-ROD or CC? Who was the real MVP?

Oct 26, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

This hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone else feel like they got the ALCS MVP call wrong? To be sure, both guys had an outstanding series:

A-Rod: .429, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 8 BB, game-tying shot in the 11th inning of Game 2;

Sabathia: 2-0, 1.12 ERA, 16 IP, 12 K.

But so often these calls are storyline things, aren’t they?  If you told me before the playoffs began that Sabathia was going to have two strong starts in the ALCS that wouldn’t have necessarily surprised me as much as if you told me that A-Rod was going to be a close to dominating offensive force.  A-Rod’s emergence as a postseason stud and clutch performer has to be the biggest story of the series, doesn’t it?

I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but it seems that a co-MVP was at least in order.

UPDATEAccording to Cot’s, A-Rod would have received $150K if he had been named the ALCS MVP.  That’s a lot of money for you and me, but it’s pocket change for Rodriguez. Still, I wonder how many of the MVP voters knew, off the top of their heads, that he was going to be out that dough based on their vote . . .

1. stockton97 - Oct 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM

George Santana is right. Throw “a billion dollars” at the Royals and Kansas City would be the best team in baseball.

2. planktonDisciple - Oct 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Yankees won, but let’s face it, the Angels and Twins made numerous errors in the field and on the base paths. The Phillies have an ace to match CC and are much more fundamentally sound. As for payroll, the second place payroll is only 75% of the Yanks payroll, and then there are six or seven above 50% of the Yanks payroll. They still have to play the game, but it can’t be ignored.
    The Phillies in 6. As tough as it is I’d rather listen to Phillies fans thumping their chests.

3. arod - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Arod deserves the MVP for this grope of the police officer in this video: http://bit.ly/arodpolice

4. Jers22 - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM

George Santana,….Suck it!! You’re just jealous and probably a Royals fan!!

5. Rob - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I don’t see how A-Rod is still a cheat, but some of the other players (manny, ortiz, etc.) get no flak. If the Dodgers were in the World Series would you be as harsh on manny as you are on a-rod? I doubt it. Yes he used steroids.. YEARS AGO, along with just about any other power/contact hitter around that time period, and from 04-07 he did basically nothing in the postseason. But now the Yanks are in the WS for the first time since 03 and A-rod is still cheating? Right. Get a better argument.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Not picking on you, but Yanks fans heard the same thing agains the Twins and the Angels (they do everything right, good defense, run the bases, blah blah blah). If I were a Phillies fan I’d be nervous about SP after Lee, but the same for the Yanks and AJ. It should be a fun series. Let’s hope all those umpire mistakes don’t pop up in the WS and actually cost a team a win or two.

7. RL - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM

For years and years the steroid users have been ahead of the steroid testers. I think they are currently using a new steroid that can’t be tested for yet. But that’s neither here nor there…
    Did ARod deserve the MVP over CC? Probably. But the fact is ARod did get busted for using steroids. Even if he’s not using them now, he is still associated with them. He is known as a steroid user. If you were advertising for your company, would you pick the known steroid user over that winning CC smile? No way! CC was the much better pick in terms of the public image of MLB. I really do think we’ll see more and more of this as time passes. I think it will be interesting to see if these known steroid users like Manny and ARod make the All-Star Team next year. They didn’t this year, and I kind of thought maybe we were seeing the beginning of a new trend. I guess the trend isn’t so new though, the HOF committee has been snubbing steroid users for years now!

8. Cru11 - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Joba is a classless bum. Fist pumping like a moron after every strikeout. This isnt college where the fad is a cap with sweat rings engulfing it. Look like a pro and and get a new one. Geez.

9. Tom E - Oct 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Jealous much? :)

10. CCS - Oct 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Would they have won without CC – probably. Would they have won without A-Rod – maybe not.

11. Stultus Magnus - Oct 26, 2009 at 3:34 PM

A-Rod deserved to share the MVP award.

12. ken - Oct 26, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Stop the Yankee Bashing already. Just because the Steinbrenners choose to spend their money on their team, doesn’t make them evil. It’s smart business. They’re developing their product. Also how much money did the Yanks give back to the other small market teams, like 30 mil? If other teams would put more money in their teams instead of their pockets, they would get better talent. The Yankees weren’t born the best, they became the best through smart business. Just because their investment is paying off people get pissy. The Red Sox spent 150 mil. That’s not chump change. So why aren’t they in the world series? Beacause the Yanks spent more? No. Because the Yanks spent smarter. People just don’t want to admit it but the Yanks don’t have a chink in the armor this year. They are a complete team. It took them the last 7 years to get to this point, but their investment has now payed off. Tough call on the MVP. A-Rod was great, CC was stellar, but if not for Tex they would have lost more games. I just don’t know. I am a Yankees fan and a baseball fan, I am not a Red Sox hater. They just did not have it this year which was quite obvious. After a slow start the Yanks poured it on all year and just kept going. 103 wins is not a fluke. When 7 of your starters hit over 20 hr’s, you got to be impressed. Let’s enjoy baseball not hate everyone who is not your team.

13. rosecole - Oct 26, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I’m not a fan of the Yankees or A-Rod, but even I believe A-Rod should have received the MVP award.

14. Mark Wright - Oct 26, 2009 at 4:13 PM

They were both awesome, but I think A-Rod contributed more over all six games.

15. Susan - Oct 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I thought A-Rod would be the MVP. He deserved it or as Joe said at least a co-MVP. I think they got it wrong too.

16. maria gonzalez - Oct 27, 2009 at 9:08 AM

It should have been a shared MVP award to CC and A-Rod. CC contributed 2 gems and without A-Rod the Yanks would have had a tough time winning the other 2 games. To JEtz, you say you don’t support any player who admits to using steroids, guess that means you support a bunch of those who are on the list of 103 (not to mention Manny and Big Papi). All those Yankee haters, get over it, find a team that’s worth cheering for, I’ll be watching my Yanks this week. GO YANKEES.

17. Cassandra Livanis - Nov 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I totally agree if it was not for A-Rod they would not even have gone to the world series!!!! HE deserves alot of credit and should have at least shared the MVP award if not win it alone A-Rod was the reason they won the title!!!!!!!!!!!! Go A-Rod and GO YANKEES.

18. free laptops - Jan 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Nice site to visit! I admire your writing and the way you explain things. Some of the comments on here too are insightful. I appreciate you. keep it up!

19. Lyndon Procter - Jan 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I’ll give this review to 2 types of people: modern day society’s men and women who are considering an ivf, and people trying to decide between fertility drugs and sperm injection. There are other treatments worth considering out there, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision than the medical advice as well.

20. Tenesha Boissy - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi, superb article, I thouroughly enjoyed reading this. This blog gave me the push to attempt my own article, please check out my blog by clicking my name at the top of this article, cheers

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate