Oct 26, 2009, 10:27 AM EDT
Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman runs down what he considers to be “October’s Disasters.” Top of the list? The manager of the team that’s probably going to win the World Series:
It may be a little odd to put the manager of the team that’s leading the ALCS 3-2 in games atop this list [note: this was posted before last night's game]. But Girardi has had a very strange postseason indeed. Joe Torre wrote a bestseller this year, and I can’t wait for Girardi’s new tome, Over-Managing 101. Girardi apparently already has a dreary book of overwrought stats in the dugout, and he’s gone to it once or two or maybe even three times too many.
Girardi’s blunders have been well-documented, but at some point doesn’t the outcome trump the mistakes? The definition of a “disaster” is “a calamitous event bringing great damage, loss, or destruction; a sudden or great misfortune or failure.” Girardi has been less than ideal, but with the talent at his disposal, any one decision he makes is fairly unimportant. And obviously the outcome hasn’t been too terribly affected by anything he’s done.
Given the other possible choices – Matt Holliday, Chip Caray, the umpires, Mike Scioscia, and anything having to do with the Dodgers’ NLCS performance — I think Girardi needs to be moved down that list quite a bit.
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 1
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 7
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 60
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 161
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (161)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)