Oct 26, 2009, 3:04 PM EDT
* In addition to letting Steve Phillips go, ESPN has now also fired the 22-year-old production assistant with whom he had an affair. Meanwhile, agent Steve Lefkowitz revealed that Phillips has entered a rehab facility for sex addiction in an effort “to save his marriage.”
* Charlie Manuel said today that Raul Ibanez will “more than likely” be the Phillies’ designated hitter for Game 1 of the World Series against Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia. Ben Francisco will likely replace him in left field, which is a massive upgrade defensively in addition to giving the injured Ibanez some extra rest.
* Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills appears to be the front-runner for the Astros’ managerial opening after Manny Acta turned Houston down.
* Alex Speier of WEEI.com quotes “a major-league source” as saying that “there is virtually no chance” the Mets will trade Carlos Beltran.
* You can follow the “Circling the Bases” team (minus Craig, who hates technology) on Twitter:
– Aaron Gleeman: @aarongleeman
– Matthew Pouliot: @matthewpouliot
– Bob Harkins: @bharks
– D.J. Short: @djshort
What we lack in creative Twitter account names, we more than make up for in good looks and sarcasm.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)