Oct 26, 2009, 3:04 PM EST
* In addition to letting Steve Phillips go, ESPN has now also fired the 22-year-old production assistant with whom he had an affair. Meanwhile, agent Steve Lefkowitz revealed that Phillips has entered a rehab facility for sex addiction in an effort “to save his marriage.”
* Charlie Manuel said today that Raul Ibanez will “more than likely” be the Phillies’ designated hitter for Game 1 of the World Series against Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia. Ben Francisco will likely replace him in left field, which is a massive upgrade defensively in addition to giving the injured Ibanez some extra rest.
* Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills appears to be the front-runner for the Astros’ managerial opening after Manny Acta turned Houston down.
* Alex Speier of WEEI.com quotes “a major-league source” as saying that “there is virtually no chance” the Mets will trade Carlos Beltran.
* You can follow the “Circling the Bases” team (minus Craig, who hates technology) on Twitter:
- Aaron Gleeman: @aarongleeman
- Matthew Pouliot: @matthewpouliot
- Bob Harkins: @bharks
- D.J. Short: @djshort
What we lack in creative Twitter account names, we more than make up for in good looks and sarcasm.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)