Oct 27, 2009, 3:26 PM EST
* CC Sabathia seems likely to start Games 1, 4, and 7, but rather than use both A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte on short rest the Yankees are “stretching out” Chad Gaudin for a possible Game 5 start.
* Ken Griffey Jr. underwent surgery yesterday to remove a bone spur from his left knee. He’ll need 4-6 weeks to recover, but Griffey has yet to say whether he plans to retire or play next season. He’s unlikely to be back in Seattle after batting just .214/.324/.411 in 117 games as the Mariners’ regular designated hitter and turns 40 years old next month.
* White Sox prospect Dayan Viciedo has been shut down after experiencing elbow inflammation in the Arizona Fall League. Signed to a four-year, $10 million MLB contract after defecting from Cuba, Viciedo hit just .280/.317/.391 with 12 homers and an 89/23 K/BB ratio in 130 games at Double-A. He’s still just 20 years old, but the White Sox expected more from a player some felt would be ready for the majors this season.
* As part of the house-cleaning in San Diego, the Padres fired vice president of scouting and player development Grady Fuson, who Moneyball readers may remember as the A’s former scouting director.
* There are probably easier ways to get World Series tickets.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)