Oct 27, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
* CC Sabathia seems likely to start Games 1, 4, and 7, but rather than use both A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte on short rest the Yankees are “stretching out” Chad Gaudin for a possible Game 5 start.
* Ken Griffey Jr. underwent surgery yesterday to remove a bone spur from his left knee. He’ll need 4-6 weeks to recover, but Griffey has yet to say whether he plans to retire or play next season. He’s unlikely to be back in Seattle after batting just .214/.324/.411 in 117 games as the Mariners’ regular designated hitter and turns 40 years old next month.
* White Sox prospect Dayan Viciedo has been shut down after experiencing elbow inflammation in the Arizona Fall League. Signed to a four-year, $10 million MLB contract after defecting from Cuba, Viciedo hit just .280/.317/.391 with 12 homers and an 89/23 K/BB ratio in 130 games at Double-A. He’s still just 20 years old, but the White Sox expected more from a player some felt would be ready for the majors this season.
* As part of the house-cleaning in San Diego, the Padres fired vice president of scouting and player development Grady Fuson, who Moneyball readers may remember as the A’s former scouting director.
* There are probably easier ways to get World Series tickets.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)