Oct 27, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
* CC Sabathia seems likely to start Games 1, 4, and 7, but rather than use both A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte on short rest the Yankees are “stretching out” Chad Gaudin for a possible Game 5 start.
* Ken Griffey Jr. underwent surgery yesterday to remove a bone spur from his left knee. He’ll need 4-6 weeks to recover, but Griffey has yet to say whether he plans to retire or play next season. He’s unlikely to be back in Seattle after batting just .214/.324/.411 in 117 games as the Mariners’ regular designated hitter and turns 40 years old next month.
* White Sox prospect Dayan Viciedo has been shut down after experiencing elbow inflammation in the Arizona Fall League. Signed to a four-year, $10 million MLB contract after defecting from Cuba, Viciedo hit just .280/.317/.391 with 12 homers and an 89/23 K/BB ratio in 130 games at Double-A. He’s still just 20 years old, but the White Sox expected more from a player some felt would be ready for the majors this season.
* As part of the house-cleaning in San Diego, the Padres fired vice president of scouting and player development Grady Fuson, who Moneyball readers may remember as the A’s former scouting director.
* There are probably easier ways to get World Series tickets.
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 0
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 21
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 13
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 12
- The Braves to sign Ervin Santana to a one-year deal, announcement coming this morning 56
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)