Oct 27, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
* CC Sabathia seems likely to start Games 1, 4, and 7, but rather than use both A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte on short rest the Yankees are “stretching out” Chad Gaudin for a possible Game 5 start.
* Ken Griffey Jr. underwent surgery yesterday to remove a bone spur from his left knee. He’ll need 4-6 weeks to recover, but Griffey has yet to say whether he plans to retire or play next season. He’s unlikely to be back in Seattle after batting just .214/.324/.411 in 117 games as the Mariners’ regular designated hitter and turns 40 years old next month.
* White Sox prospect Dayan Viciedo has been shut down after experiencing elbow inflammation in the Arizona Fall League. Signed to a four-year, $10 million MLB contract after defecting from Cuba, Viciedo hit just .280/.317/.391 with 12 homers and an 89/23 K/BB ratio in 130 games at Double-A. He’s still just 20 years old, but the White Sox expected more from a player some felt would be ready for the majors this season.
* As part of the house-cleaning in San Diego, the Padres fired vice president of scouting and player development Grady Fuson, who Moneyball readers may remember as the A’s former scouting director.
* There are probably easier ways to get World Series tickets.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)