Oct 27, 2009, 3:26 PM EDT
* CC Sabathia seems likely to start Games 1, 4, and 7, but rather than use both A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte on short rest the Yankees are “stretching out” Chad Gaudin for a possible Game 5 start.
* Ken Griffey Jr. underwent surgery yesterday to remove a bone spur from his left knee. He’ll need 4-6 weeks to recover, but Griffey has yet to say whether he plans to retire or play next season. He’s unlikely to be back in Seattle after batting just .214/.324/.411 in 117 games as the Mariners’ regular designated hitter and turns 40 years old next month.
* White Sox prospect Dayan Viciedo has been shut down after experiencing elbow inflammation in the Arizona Fall League. Signed to a four-year, $10 million MLB contract after defecting from Cuba, Viciedo hit just .280/.317/.391 with 12 homers and an 89/23 K/BB ratio in 130 games at Double-A. He’s still just 20 years old, but the White Sox expected more from a player some felt would be ready for the majors this season.
* As part of the house-cleaning in San Diego, the Padres fired vice president of scouting and player development Grady Fuson, who Moneyball readers may remember as the A’s former scouting director.
* There are probably easier ways to get World Series tickets.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 8
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 24
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 63
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)