Oct 27, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
The Tigers and the Angels are the latest reported — or at least speculated — to throw their hats into the Aroldis Chapman ring. Add their names to the Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Mets, Athletics and Cardinals.
Which is great and all, but does anyone but me think it’s silly to think that any team besides the Yankees or the Red Sox are going to pay $40 million+ for a raw, 21 year-old guy who has never thrown a pitch in affiliated baseball? In light of the intro to my previous post I know this sounds like more of that “it’s the Yankees and Red Sox world and everyone else is just livin’ in it” talk I claim to despise, but really, who among the contenders here have (a) the means to absorb such a loss in the likely event Chapman either gets injured or flames out; or (b) has any track record taking such risks?
The Mets spend money from time to time but all signs point to at least some short term austerity on their part these days. The Tigers have spent some crazy money in recent years, but not on wild fliers like Chapman. The A’s and Cardinals? Please.
I suspect that there will be a press conference within the next month announcing Chapman’s signing, and I suspect that that press conference will take place in either Boston or New York.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 30
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 9
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 40
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save