Oct 27, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
The Tigers and the Angels are the latest reported — or at least speculated — to throw their hats into the Aroldis Chapman ring. Add their names to the Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Mets, Athletics and Cardinals.
Which is great and all, but does anyone but me think it’s silly to think that any team besides the Yankees or the Red Sox are going to pay $40 million+ for a raw, 21 year-old guy who has never thrown a pitch in affiliated baseball? In light of the intro to my previous post I know this sounds like more of that “it’s the Yankees and Red Sox world and everyone else is just livin’ in it” talk I claim to despise, but really, who among the contenders here have (a) the means to absorb such a loss in the likely event Chapman either gets injured or flames out; or (b) has any track record taking such risks?
The Mets spend money from time to time but all signs point to at least some short term austerity on their part these days. The Tigers have spent some crazy money in recent years, but not on wild fliers like Chapman. The A’s and Cardinals? Please.
I suspect that there will be a press conference within the next month announcing Chapman’s signing, and I suspect that that press conference will take place in either Boston or New York.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)