Oct 27, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
The Tigers and the Angels are the latest reported — or at least speculated — to throw their hats into the Aroldis Chapman ring. Add their names to the Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Mets, Athletics and Cardinals.
Which is great and all, but does anyone but me think it’s silly to think that any team besides the Yankees or the Red Sox are going to pay $40 million+ for a raw, 21 year-old guy who has never thrown a pitch in affiliated baseball? In light of the intro to my previous post I know this sounds like more of that “it’s the Yankees and Red Sox world and everyone else is just livin’ in it” talk I claim to despise, but really, who among the contenders here have (a) the means to absorb such a loss in the likely event Chapman either gets injured or flames out; or (b) has any track record taking such risks?
The Mets spend money from time to time but all signs point to at least some short term austerity on their part these days. The Tigers have spent some crazy money in recent years, but not on wild fliers like Chapman. The A’s and Cardinals? Please.
I suspect that there will be a press conference within the next month announcing Chapman’s signing, and I suspect that that press conference will take place in either Boston or New York.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)