Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM EDT
Jarrod Parker’s career hit a major stumbling block last week when the Diamondbacks announced that the 20-year-old top prospect and former first-round pick would need Tommy John elbow surgery.
He’s expected to miss all of next season and was no doubt crushed by the news, but Parker has decided to keep himself busy and keep fans updated by blogging about the surgery and his comeback.
His first blog entry went up yesterday and included a recap of his final pre-surgery checkup at Dr. James Andrews’ office, where he ran into reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford prior to the Oklahoma quarterback’s shoulder surgery.
I’m a big supporter of any professional athlete willing to connect with fans via blogging, and Parker seems to have a pretty good outlook and sense of humor considering the circumstances:
I will try to blog as much as I can following surgery. The blogs following this one may be a little slim considering that typing with only a left hand is going to be frustrating and time consuming. … Now I think I’m going to rent a movie and relax a little bit before this short speed bump in my career that is happening tomorrow.
Parker’s surgery was scheduled for this afternoon, so he’s probably under the knife as I’m typing this sentence. Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly, because I’m looking forward to reading about his comeback and hoping to see him healthy in 2011.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)