Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM EDT
Jarrod Parker’s career hit a major stumbling block last week when the Diamondbacks announced that the 20-year-old top prospect and former first-round pick would need Tommy John elbow surgery.
He’s expected to miss all of next season and was no doubt crushed by the news, but Parker has decided to keep himself busy and keep fans updated by blogging about the surgery and his comeback.
His first blog entry went up yesterday and included a recap of his final pre-surgery checkup at Dr. James Andrews’ office, where he ran into reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford prior to the Oklahoma quarterback’s shoulder surgery.
I’m a big supporter of any professional athlete willing to connect with fans via blogging, and Parker seems to have a pretty good outlook and sense of humor considering the circumstances:
I will try to blog as much as I can following surgery. The blogs following this one may be a little slim considering that typing with only a left hand is going to be frustrating and time consuming. … Now I think I’m going to rent a movie and relax a little bit before this short speed bump in my career that is happening tomorrow.
Parker’s surgery was scheduled for this afternoon, so he’s probably under the knife as I’m typing this sentence. Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly, because I’m looking forward to reading about his comeback and hoping to see him healthy in 2011.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)