Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM EST
Jarrod Parker’s career hit a major stumbling block last week when the Diamondbacks announced that the 20-year-old top prospect and former first-round pick would need Tommy John elbow surgery.
He’s expected to miss all of next season and was no doubt crushed by the news, but Parker has decided to keep himself busy and keep fans updated by blogging about the surgery and his comeback.
His first blog entry went up yesterday and included a recap of his final pre-surgery checkup at Dr. James Andrews’ office, where he ran into reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford prior to the Oklahoma quarterback’s shoulder surgery.
I’m a big supporter of any professional athlete willing to connect with fans via blogging, and Parker seems to have a pretty good outlook and sense of humor considering the circumstances:
I will try to blog as much as I can following surgery. The blogs following this one may be a little slim considering that typing with only a left hand is going to be frustrating and time consuming. … Now I think I’m going to rent a movie and relax a little bit before this short speed bump in my career that is happening tomorrow.
Parker’s surgery was scheduled for this afternoon, so he’s probably under the knife as I’m typing this sentence. Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly, because I’m looking forward to reading about his comeback and hoping to see him healthy in 2011.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)