Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM EDT
Jarrod Parker’s career hit a major stumbling block last week when the Diamondbacks announced that the 20-year-old top prospect and former first-round pick would need Tommy John elbow surgery.
He’s expected to miss all of next season and was no doubt crushed by the news, but Parker has decided to keep himself busy and keep fans updated by blogging about the surgery and his comeback.
His first blog entry went up yesterday and included a recap of his final pre-surgery checkup at Dr. James Andrews’ office, where he ran into reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford prior to the Oklahoma quarterback’s shoulder surgery.
I’m a big supporter of any professional athlete willing to connect with fans via blogging, and Parker seems to have a pretty good outlook and sense of humor considering the circumstances:
I will try to blog as much as I can following surgery. The blogs following this one may be a little slim considering that typing with only a left hand is going to be frustrating and time consuming. … Now I think I’m going to rent a movie and relax a little bit before this short speed bump in my career that is happening tomorrow.
Parker’s surgery was scheduled for this afternoon, so he’s probably under the knife as I’m typing this sentence. Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly, because I’m looking forward to reading about his comeback and hoping to see him healthy in 2011.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)