Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM EST
Jarrod Parker’s career hit a major stumbling block last week when the Diamondbacks announced that the 20-year-old top prospect and former first-round pick would need Tommy John elbow surgery.
He’s expected to miss all of next season and was no doubt crushed by the news, but Parker has decided to keep himself busy and keep fans updated by blogging about the surgery and his comeback.
His first blog entry went up yesterday and included a recap of his final pre-surgery checkup at Dr. James Andrews’ office, where he ran into reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford prior to the Oklahoma quarterback’s shoulder surgery.
I’m a big supporter of any professional athlete willing to connect with fans via blogging, and Parker seems to have a pretty good outlook and sense of humor considering the circumstances:
I will try to blog as much as I can following surgery. The blogs following this one may be a little slim considering that typing with only a left hand is going to be frustrating and time consuming. … Now I think I’m going to rent a movie and relax a little bit before this short speed bump in my career that is happening tomorrow.
Parker’s surgery was scheduled for this afternoon, so he’s probably under the knife as I’m typing this sentence. Here’s hoping that everything goes smoothly, because I’m looking forward to reading about his comeback and hoping to see him healthy in 2011.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)