Oct 28, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
* Tigers prospect Scott Sizemore underwent surgery yesterday to repair the fractured left ankle that he suffered last week while playing in the Arizona Fall League.
General manager Dave Dombrowski has indicated previously that Sizemore would be Detroit’s starting second baseman if free agent Placido Polanco doesn’t return, but before any of that can happen he’ll have screws stabilizing his ankle until January.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com has a ton of good photos from the press conference introducing Brad Mills as the Astros’ manager. Houston’s new skipper will wear uniform No. 2.
* Meanwhile, the Red Sox will replace Mills as bench coach with an in-house option if manager Terry Francona has his wish. DeMarlo Hale and Tim Bogar figure to be candidates.
* After struggling in his second Arizona Fall League outing, Stephen Strasburg bounced back with 4.1 innings of one-hit ball yesterday, striking out five and reaching triple-digits with his fastball several times.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)