Oct 28, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
* Tigers prospect Scott Sizemore underwent surgery yesterday to repair the fractured left ankle that he suffered last week while playing in the Arizona Fall League.
General manager Dave Dombrowski has indicated previously that Sizemore would be Detroit’s starting second baseman if free agent Placido Polanco doesn’t return, but before any of that can happen he’ll have screws stabilizing his ankle until January.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com has a ton of good photos from the press conference introducing Brad Mills as the Astros’ manager. Houston’s new skipper will wear uniform No. 2.
* Meanwhile, the Red Sox will replace Mills as bench coach with an in-house option if manager Terry Francona has his wish. DeMarlo Hale and Tim Bogar figure to be candidates.
* After struggling in his second Arizona Fall League outing, Stephen Strasburg bounced back with 4.1 innings of one-hit ball yesterday, striking out five and reaching triple-digits with his fastball several times.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)