Oct 28, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
* Tigers prospect Scott Sizemore underwent surgery yesterday to repair the fractured left ankle that he suffered last week while playing in the Arizona Fall League.
General manager Dave Dombrowski has indicated previously that Sizemore would be Detroit’s starting second baseman if free agent Placido Polanco doesn’t return, but before any of that can happen he’ll have screws stabilizing his ankle until January.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com has a ton of good photos from the press conference introducing Brad Mills as the Astros’ manager. Houston’s new skipper will wear uniform No. 2.
* Meanwhile, the Red Sox will replace Mills as bench coach with an in-house option if manager Terry Francona has his wish. DeMarlo Hale and Tim Bogar figure to be candidates.
* After struggling in his second Arizona Fall League outing, Stephen Strasburg bounced back with 4.1 innings of one-hit ball yesterday, striking out five and reaching triple-digits with his fastball several times.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)