Oct 28, 2009, 11:45 AM EDT
* Tigers prospect Scott Sizemore underwent surgery yesterday to repair the fractured left ankle that he suffered last week while playing in the Arizona Fall League.
General manager Dave Dombrowski has indicated previously that Sizemore would be Detroit’s starting second baseman if free agent Placido Polanco doesn’t return, but before any of that can happen he’ll have screws stabilizing his ankle until January.
* Alyson Footer of MLB.com has a ton of good photos from the press conference introducing Brad Mills as the Astros’ manager. Houston’s new skipper will wear uniform No. 2.
* Meanwhile, the Red Sox will replace Mills as bench coach with an in-house option if manager Terry Francona has his wish. DeMarlo Hale and Tim Bogar figure to be candidates.
* After struggling in his second Arizona Fall League outing, Stephen Strasburg bounced back with 4.1 innings of one-hit ball yesterday, striking out five and reaching triple-digits with his fastball several times.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)