Major League Baseball is lying about Jay-Z

Oct 28, 2009, 11:00 AM EDT

OK, this is really, really, petty in the grand scheme of things, but since Bud Selig hates it when teams announce actual news while the World Series is happening, this will have to tide us over. If you want, you can skip to the bottom to get my World Series prediction.

Jay-Z and Alicia Keys were originally slated to perform before tonight’s game.  That has now been pushed back to Game 2 because, according to Major League Baseball, “Staging for the performance could adversely impact the field if it is wet, creating damaged and unsafe playing conditions.” Best to move it to the certain-to-be dry Game 2.

Except there’s another, more compelling reason for Jay-Z to cancel: he’s supposed to be in my hometown of Columbus, Ohio tonight:

Rapper Jay-Z is scheduled to perform with Alicia Keys before Game 1 of the World Series in New York on Wednesday night but is also scheduled to perform at the same time at the Schottenstein Center in Columbus.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Jay-Z’s web site said that he will perform, as scheduled, at the World Series.  The first pitch between the New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies is scheduled for 7:57 p.m. According to the staff at the Schottenstein Center, Jay-Z is going to perform in Columbus and is skipping the World Series.

My guess:  someone here in Columbus told Jay-Z’s people that they’d sue him for breach of contract if he didn’t show up for tonight’s show and he begged Major League Baseball to let him move his Alicia Keys thing to Game 2.  Whether it was Jay-Z or baseball who, in the first instance, thought that the good people of Columbus would stand idly by while he dissed us for New York is unclear, but as always, the wholesome Midwest triumphs over the forces of east coast decadance and evil.

OK, to make up for that decidedly non-baseball story, I’ll give you my World Series prediction.  Matt has a full writeup here, so I’ll make mine short: Yankees in six. The Phillies are heavily lefty. The Yankees can throw lefties in five of seven games, and they have a bullpen that is particularly tough on lefties as well.  Cliff Lee will be Cliff Lee, but the Phillies rotation will otherwise be no match for the Yankees bats. In fact, if it weren’t for Joe Girardi I’d say it would be the Yankees in five, but I figure old number 27 will over-manage a game away.

Of course, if you’ve been paying attention to my predictions so far this postseason, you’ll realize that this pick all but guarantees a Phillies victory.  But maybe I know that you know that, and I’m changing things up to mess with you?  Ever thought of that?

No, seriously, the Phillies don’t stand a chance.

1. Ryan H. - Oct 28, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I don’t think I can stand listening to Jay-Z anymore since I saw him at one of the playoff games against the Twins. Booooooooooooo.

2. Steve V - Oct 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Dont stand a chance? Should I remind you that cliff lee wasn’t on the team when the phillies beat the yankees 2 out of 3 IN NY!!! I can’t wait for the phillies to win the world series….. AGAIN.

3. CreeMo - Oct 28, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Is that a Halloween costume “Jazzy” is wearing? That’s one ugly dude.

4. Mike Z - Oct 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

And Cliff Lee got the first win ever in the regular season at the Yanks new stadium this year with the Indians. And who was he pitching against? You guessed it C.C. Sabathia.
    “No, seriously, the Phillies don’t stand a chance”. Thanks Calcaterra, Phils might just sweep ‘em now with a statement like that from you.

5. Ron - Oct 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Isn’t Columbus the AAA team for the Yankees?
    Say what you will about the man, but if George was still running things, this wouldn’t have been an issue. He would have told Columbus to suck it up or lose their team.
    Has the evil empire lost it’s bite? Has Luke finally dropped his bomb down the airshaft in the form of a convention center manager in Ohio?
    The parralels are eirie!!!!

6. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM

We’re simple moisture farmers here in Columbus, Ron. We used to blast wamp-rats bigger than the Yankees in our T-16s back home.
    Note: The Yankees haven’t been the parent club of the Clippers for over three years; we had the Nats for two, and as of 2009, the Indians are the big club. And the team, throughout all of this, has been owned by the county government, not any MLB team.
    So in addition to being rebels, we’re commies too!

7. Ron - Oct 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I’ve lost touch with things. This is what happens when you live in a socialist country with free health care, lots of taxes and a left-leaning government.
    Oh, wait, never mind.

8. ofus - Oct 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM

and guess who else wasn’t at the game? you know, the Spanish guy with the movie star girl friend. The one who is the across-the-board fave to win WS MVP. Come on, what his name?,, I know it – it’s on the tip of my tongue…

9. bh0673 - Oct 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Well that’s a relief I am going tonight and really didn’t want to have to sit through that however now I here Obama’s wife and BIden’s wife will be there to make a total mess out things. So I guess I would rather sit through Jay-Z then deal with the security that we will now have to endure.

10. Yankees4Life - Oct 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Should I remind YOU that the series you are talking about happened in the spring…long before the Yankees notoriously hit their post All Star game stride. Not to mention that the Yankees have also added players to their roster since then.
    The Yankees have always been known to gel AFTER July when they start pouring it on. This is a better Yankee team that the Phillies will face in the World Series. Good luck with that.

11. jonny5 - Oct 28, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Craig, Craig, Craig. First of all, I’d like to thank you once again for your prediction. Second of all, I have a question. What did you do, that was soooooo bad that you’ve angered God to the point that every prediction you make is overruled by the high and mighty??? By sheer odds alone, you should be right at least half the time… Right???? ;>)~ Wait, don’t answer that, you may cause a ripple in the time continuum. Or worse!!!! Well as I’ve already said I have to stick to my Phillies. Phills in 6. Hopefully we’ll be able to see a back to back title. And I wouldn’t hold much stock in the whole “lefty” thing. We have our switch hitters as does NY, and it’s the World Series!!!! Phillies seem like they zone in at this time. GO PHILLIES!!!!

12. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I actually hate to admit it because it might kill a good meme, but I did pick the Yankees to beat the Angels over at my other blog.

13. John - Oct 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM

That is not Jazzy but rather it is Mars Blackmon as in “Nobody can guard my main man Michael Jordan!”
    PHILLIES IN SIX!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

14. jonny5 - Oct 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Making sure you cover all the bases huh Craig??? LOL!!! Well it’s been fun, now it’s time to see who has it, and who doesn’t. Right Now!! Maybe it’ll come down to who has more heart? As close as these two clubs are,I’d say that’s going to be the deciding factor for this series.

15. OKCyankeefan - Oct 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I’m going to do you one better – Yankees in 7 because 27 can’t keep his hands off the very expsensive merchandise. Can’t wait to hear the deafening groans from the stands when he puts Bruney in and follows him up with Marte!

16. oHIosux - Oct 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Craig, just like oHIo, you are round on the ends and hi in the middle……….
    Jay-Z is from the ” concrete jungle “, who cares about ohio…….
    only two things come out of ohio…….

17. JT - Oct 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM

“Is that a Halloween costume “Jazzy” is wearing? That’s one ugly dude.”
    No, that’s your face.

18. Anthony Deese - Oct 28, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Phillies don’t stand a chance? I hope everyone who said these things is willing to face the music in a week and a half.

19. Yankeessucballs - Oct 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I heard Jay-Z is skipping the World Series and the concert to go watch the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight… get some Rick Nash!

20. Jim O'Connor - Oct 28, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Its beyond stupid that I have to watch Jay-Z perform just because the game is in New York. I was planning on watching a BASEBALL GAME not some horrible rap concert.

21. GBS - Oct 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM

jonny5, it’s not about heart; it’s about who has more moxie, more gumption! Or maybe it’s who has better chemistry. I can’t keep my intangibles straight.

22. cynthialewis - Oct 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM

For your imfomatiom I could”ve cared less about baseball or the world series until JayZ got involed which only proves that music rap or whatever breaks down all barriers which is a beautiful thing
    PEACE.

23. facebook farmville - Feb 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM

i may not have believed this was remarkable one or two years back yet it’s crazy exactly how time shifts the manner you perceive all types of ideas, many thanks for the posting it is relaxing to look over some thing smart occasionally instead of the normal rubbish mascarading as blogs and forums on the internet, cheers

24. How to play texas hold em poker online - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Is it true that many singers get screwed over by record labels that wanted every penny ??

25. Darryl Andrades - Mar 3, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Super Artikel, hat mich echt zum Nachdenken angeregt. Bin der Meinung, dass das Thema noch wichtiger wird in nächster Zeit. Ich halte mich mit Sicherheit auf dem Laufenden!

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4230)