Oct 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
I hate those cutesy little bets mayors and governors make over sporting events. Pineapples for possum when Hawaii plays West Virginia in the BCS championship game? Egg creams for lake trout when the Orioles play the Mets in the World Series?* Who needs it?
Thankfully, the mayors of New York and Philly are eschewing that tradition this year and are doing something a bit more worthwhile:
Mayor Bloomberg and his World Series city counterpart, Michael Nutter, made a bet to nourish their communities instead of their stomachs.
If New York wins the Fall Classic, Nutter promises to come to the city and participate in a volunteer service project while dressed in Yankee pinstripes.
If the Bombers lose, Bloomberg will don a Phillies’ jersey and volunteer for a community service project in the City of Brotherly Love.
There’s probably still an element of grandstanding to all of this, but at least it has a core of community service instead of mere community boosterism to it.
*I realize that the Mets and Orioles are not likely to meet in a World Series again in our lifetimes, but I had to use this example to get to the egg creams (contents: no eggs and no cream) and Lake Trout (not from a lake, contains no trout).
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 76
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)