Oct 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
I hate those cutesy little bets mayors and governors make over sporting events. Pineapples for possum when Hawaii plays West Virginia in the BCS championship game? Egg creams for lake trout when the Orioles play the Mets in the World Series?* Who needs it?
Thankfully, the mayors of New York and Philly are eschewing that tradition this year and are doing something a bit more worthwhile:
Mayor Bloomberg and his World Series city counterpart, Michael Nutter, made a bet to nourish their communities instead of their stomachs.
If New York wins the Fall Classic, Nutter promises to come to the city and participate in a volunteer service project while dressed in Yankee pinstripes.
If the Bombers lose, Bloomberg will don a Phillies’ jersey and volunteer for a community service project in the City of Brotherly Love.
There’s probably still an element of grandstanding to all of this, but at least it has a core of community service instead of mere community boosterism to it.
*I realize that the Mets and Orioles are not likely to meet in a World Series again in our lifetimes, but I had to use this example to get to the egg creams (contents: no eggs and no cream) and Lake Trout (not from a lake, contains no trout).
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 0
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury