Oct 28, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
I hate those cutesy little bets mayors and governors make over sporting events. Pineapples for possum when Hawaii plays West Virginia in the BCS championship game? Egg creams for lake trout when the Orioles play the Mets in the World Series?* Who needs it?
Thankfully, the mayors of New York and Philly are eschewing that tradition this year and are doing something a bit more worthwhile:
Mayor Bloomberg and his World Series city counterpart, Michael Nutter, made a bet to nourish their communities instead of their stomachs.
If New York wins the Fall Classic, Nutter promises to come to the city and participate in a volunteer service project while dressed in Yankee pinstripes.
If the Bombers lose, Bloomberg will don a Phillies’ jersey and volunteer for a community service project in the City of Brotherly Love.
There’s probably still an element of grandstanding to all of this, but at least it has a core of community service instead of mere community boosterism to it.
*I realize that the Mets and Orioles are not likely to meet in a World Series again in our lifetimes, but I had to use this example to get to the egg creams (contents: no eggs and no cream) and Lake Trout (not from a lake, contains no trout).
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)