Oct 28, 2009, 5:27 PM EST
*Cliff Lee needs to work deep into the game in order to match CC Sabathia.
The Phillies will likely have to rely a great deal on their pen during Games 2 and 3, so it’s important that Lee provide them with at least seven strong innings. The chances of Chad Durbin, Chan Ho Park and Scott Eyre giving the Phillies quality work in the middle innings will decrease the more than the Yankees get to see them.
*The Yankees will work the count and try to get into middle relief.
The Bombers know they have a big advantage in the later innings, even if Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain aren’t giving them quite what they hoped in setup roles yet. If they can knock Lee out after six, they’ll get to the soft underbelly of this Phillies team.
*Jimmy Rollins has to start something for Phillies.
Rollins is hitting just .244/.279/.317 in the postseason, but he tends to come around once he reaches base. In 11 career at-bats against Sabathia, he’s collected four hits, including a triple and two doubles.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 33
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (95)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)