Oct 28, 2009, 1:13 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that Manny Ramirez “is planning to exercise” his $20 million option for 2010 rather than test the free-agent market again following a season in which he was suspended for 50 games.
Ramirez remains a headache and he’ll be 38 years old next season, but had he accumulated enough plate appearances to qualify for the season-long leaderboards his .949 OPS would have ranked seventh among all NL hitters. His adjusted OPS+ of 149 would have ranked sixth in the league and was just slightly below his career mark of 155 (which happens to be the 25th-best OPS+ in baseball history).
And while much was made of Ramirez slumping down the stretch his .838 OPS after the All-Star break still put him in the league’s top 25, including ninth-best among outfielders. Love him or hate him Ramirez is still one of the elite right-handed bats in all of baseball and the Dodgers should be happy to welcome him back on what is essentially a one-year, $20 million deal.
Replacing his production would have meant either giving up tons of value in a trade or handing out a huge long-term contract to a free agent like Matt Holliday or Jason Bay. Compared to either of those options another season of Manny makes a lot of sense for a Dodgers team that went 59-40 (.600) with Ramirez in the lineup this year. He has until five days after the World Series to make his decision official.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)