Oct 28, 2009, 12:37 AM EDT
So Jimmy Rollins is making predictions again, this time forecasting a relatively smooth ride for the Phillies to a second straight World Series championship.
Rollins claimed the Phillies would take out the Yankees in five games. Why five? Because “you figure one game they’re going to find a way to win. That’s the way it is.”
The Yankees had some fun with it on Tuesday, with Jorge Posada calling Rollins “Nostradamus,” and Derek Jeter mocking the Phillies shortstop for predicting the Phillies and Yankees would meet in the World Series “about seven years ago.”
Rollins is catching some heat for his mouth, which isn’t all that surprising.
But before you go all crazy ragging on the guy, keep in mind that the man has actually made some pretty good predictions over the years, as pointed out by Lisa Swan at The Faster Times.
Rollins’ outspokenness is rare in the often-bland baseball world, where all too many players speak in cliches straight out of “Bull Durham.” But what’s even rarer is that his predictions, pronouncements, and prognostications have so often come true:
In addition to tormenting the Mets with his almost continuous predictions of their demise, he also threw his support behind Barack Obama when Obama was still an underdog to earn the Democratic nomination. And this past spring, Rollins predicted a Phillies-Yankees World Series.
All of this leads me to wonder, is Jimmy Rollins really a modern-day Nostradamus? If so, I have some questions for him:
* Will the Mariners be able to sign Felix Hernandez to an extension?
* Will the McCourt divorce tear apart the Dodgers?
* Will Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian make it?
Feel free to send me your predictions Jimmy. And I have many more questions for you, too. Please don’t delay, as I’ve already booked a flight to Vegas.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)