Oct 28, 2009, 12:37 AM EDT
So Jimmy Rollins is making predictions again, this time forecasting a relatively smooth ride for the Phillies to a second straight World Series championship.
Rollins claimed the Phillies would take out the Yankees in five games. Why five? Because “you figure one game they’re going to find a way to win. That’s the way it is.”
The Yankees had some fun with it on Tuesday, with Jorge Posada calling Rollins “Nostradamus,” and Derek Jeter mocking the Phillies shortstop for predicting the Phillies and Yankees would meet in the World Series “about seven years ago.”
Rollins is catching some heat for his mouth, which isn’t all that surprising.
But before you go all crazy ragging on the guy, keep in mind that the man has actually made some pretty good predictions over the years, as pointed out by Lisa Swan at The Faster Times.
Rollins’ outspokenness is rare in the often-bland baseball world, where all too many players speak in cliches straight out of “Bull Durham.” But what’s even rarer is that his predictions, pronouncements, and prognostications have so often come true:
In addition to tormenting the Mets with his almost continuous predictions of their demise, he also threw his support behind Barack Obama when Obama was still an underdog to earn the Democratic nomination. And this past spring, Rollins predicted a Phillies-Yankees World Series.
All of this leads me to wonder, is Jimmy Rollins really a modern-day Nostradamus? If so, I have some questions for him:
* Will the Mariners be able to sign Felix Hernandez to an extension?
* Will the McCourt divorce tear apart the Dodgers?
* Will Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian make it?
Feel free to send me your predictions Jimmy. And I have many more questions for you, too. Please don’t delay, as I’ve already booked a flight to Vegas.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)