Oct 28, 2009, 12:37 AM EDT
So Jimmy Rollins is making predictions again, this time forecasting a relatively smooth ride for the Phillies to a second straight World Series championship.
Rollins claimed the Phillies would take out the Yankees in five games. Why five? Because “you figure one game they’re going to find a way to win. That’s the way it is.”
The Yankees had some fun with it on Tuesday, with Jorge Posada calling Rollins “Nostradamus,” and Derek Jeter mocking the Phillies shortstop for predicting the Phillies and Yankees would meet in the World Series “about seven years ago.”
Rollins is catching some heat for his mouth, which isn’t all that surprising.
But before you go all crazy ragging on the guy, keep in mind that the man has actually made some pretty good predictions over the years, as pointed out by Lisa Swan at The Faster Times.
Rollins’ outspokenness is rare in the often-bland baseball world, where all too many players speak in cliches straight out of “Bull Durham.” But what’s even rarer is that his predictions, pronouncements, and prognostications have so often come true:
In addition to tormenting the Mets with his almost continuous predictions of their demise, he also threw his support behind Barack Obama when Obama was still an underdog to earn the Democratic nomination. And this past spring, Rollins predicted a Phillies-Yankees World Series.
All of this leads me to wonder, is Jimmy Rollins really a modern-day Nostradamus? If so, I have some questions for him:
* Will the Mariners be able to sign Felix Hernandez to an extension?
* Will the McCourt divorce tear apart the Dodgers?
* Will Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian make it?
Feel free to send me your predictions Jimmy. And I have many more questions for you, too. Please don’t delay, as I’ve already booked a flight to Vegas.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (73)