Oct 28, 2009, 12:37 AM EDT
So Jimmy Rollins is making predictions again, this time forecasting a relatively smooth ride for the Phillies to a second straight World Series championship.
Rollins claimed the Phillies would take out the Yankees in five games. Why five? Because “you figure one game they’re going to find a way to win. That’s the way it is.”
The Yankees had some fun with it on Tuesday, with Jorge Posada calling Rollins “Nostradamus,” and Derek Jeter mocking the Phillies shortstop for predicting the Phillies and Yankees would meet in the World Series “about seven years ago.”
Rollins is catching some heat for his mouth, which isn’t all that surprising.
But before you go all crazy ragging on the guy, keep in mind that the man has actually made some pretty good predictions over the years, as pointed out by Lisa Swan at The Faster Times.
Rollins’ outspokenness is rare in the often-bland baseball world, where all too many players speak in cliches straight out of “Bull Durham.” But what’s even rarer is that his predictions, pronouncements, and prognostications have so often come true:
In addition to tormenting the Mets with his almost continuous predictions of their demise, he also threw his support behind Barack Obama when Obama was still an underdog to earn the Democratic nomination. And this past spring, Rollins predicted a Phillies-Yankees World Series.
All of this leads me to wonder, is Jimmy Rollins really a modern-day Nostradamus? If so, I have some questions for him:
* Will the Mariners be able to sign Felix Hernandez to an extension?
* Will the McCourt divorce tear apart the Dodgers?
* Will Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian make it?
Feel free to send me your predictions Jimmy. And I have many more questions for you, too. Please don’t delay, as I’ve already booked a flight to Vegas.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 4
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 27
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit