Oct 29, 2009, 3:02 AM EDT
In the wake of an impressive showing by the Phillies in Game 1 of the World Series, let’s take a stroll around the nation and see what’s going on …
In New York, they were actually eating cheesesteaks. And no, that’s not some kind of euphemism for what Cliff Lee did to the Yankees.
Speaking of Lee, they’re worshipping him in Philadelphia with a video tribute, and rightly so.
How impressive was he? He did something that hadn’t been done since the FIRST World Series game.
In Cleveland, they tried not to pay attention. And they’re still mad about LeBron wearing that Yankee hat.
On the radio, Suzyn Waldman made some history as the first woman to broadcast a World Series game.
In Milwaukee, they were handing out awards to guys like Manny Parra (A for occasional effort).
In Atlanta, they’re jacked up about the idea of keeping Tim Hudson out of free agency.
And finally, in Boston, they’re gloating, and wondering if Pedro Martinez can make it 2-0.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)