Oct 29, 2009, 3:02 AM EDT
In the wake of an impressive showing by the Phillies in Game 1 of the World Series, let’s take a stroll around the nation and see what’s going on …
In New York, they were actually eating cheesesteaks. And no, that’s not some kind of euphemism for what Cliff Lee did to the Yankees.
Speaking of Lee, they’re worshipping him in Philadelphia with a video tribute, and rightly so.
How impressive was he? He did something that hadn’t been done since the FIRST World Series game.
In Cleveland, they tried not to pay attention. And they’re still mad about LeBron wearing that Yankee hat.
On the radio, Suzyn Waldman made some history as the first woman to broadcast a World Series game.
In Milwaukee, they were handing out awards to guys like Manny Parra (A for occasional effort).
In Atlanta, they’re jacked up about the idea of keeping Tim Hudson out of free agency.
And finally, in Boston, they’re gloating, and wondering if Pedro Martinez can make it 2-0.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)