No time to panic, Yankees fans

Oct 29, 2009, 8:57 AM EST

Here’s the situation: your team is unable to do anything against a Cy Young caliber pitcher.  Your ace gave up two home runs to the same guy on the other team.  Your bullpen was less than stellar. You’ve now lost the homefield advantage and you have an often erratic starter going in Game 2.  Time to panic?

Hardly, because that describes the exact scenario the Yankees faced in Game 2 of the 1996 World Series.

Because I’m an Atlanta Braves fan, I remember it well.  I was in law school then, and I remember the gloom and doom of my many, many New York Yankee fan classmates.  I even had a professor — himself a native New Yorker — who got bent out of shape when I wore my Braves cap in to class the day after Andruw Jones hit those two bombs.  Being young and relatively unschooled in the ways of the world, I gloated like crazy.  I was even worse about it following Game 2.

But we all know how that turned out.  The ace lefty acquitted himself quite nicely his next turn out. The Yankees’ deep bullpen asserted itself.  The Braves, after getting one lights out performance from Greg Maddux in Game 2, had no answer for the New York nine.  A dynasty was reborn that year, and that Game 1 has been rendered a mere footnote, notable for Andruw Jones’ coming out party and not much else.  That law school professor took a few minutes at the beginning of the first class following Game 6 to lecture me about premature jubilation.  It’s probably the only thing I remember from that class.

Will history repeat itself?  I have no idea. But I do know that Yankees fans would be well-advised to relax, and Phillies fans would be well advised to hold their “nobody believed in us” and “we told you so” rants until after Pedro Martinez and Cole Hamels pitch.

For my part, I stand by my prediction: Yankees in six. Just like in 1996.

1. Jodie Smith - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:13 PM

A good background check service is almost impossible to find.

2. Bruce E. Williams - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM

It was fascinating. You seem very well-informed in your field.

3. Rocco Archdale - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM

GDI drives some pretty sick income my way

4. Malcom Munroe - Feb 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I think that background checks should be classified based on how deep they are.

5. Jed Mchughes - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hey thanks for posting this, found it to be a interesting read after finding it on Bing searching for similar topics and i shall pass the link on to severa friends.

6. fightbase.co.uk - Feb 23, 2010 at 7:13 AM

any updates coming???

7. mma clothing - Mar 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM

This is such a excellent explanation, Thanks you demistified what I was very unsure of. Thx once again.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester