Oct 29, 2009, 12:27 PM EDT
After hiring Jed Hoyer as their new general manager earlier this week the Padres fired vice president for scouting and player development Grady Fuson and reassigned scouting director Bill Gayton.
Those are two of the front office’s most important positions and it’s understandable that Hoyer would want to fill them with his own choices, but he stopped well short of a complete overhaul yesterday by offering 2010 contracts to all of the Padres’ amateur scouts, cross-checkers, and minor-league instructors, managers, and coaches.
Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune notes that those contracts cover a total of about 70 positions representing the backbone of the Padres’ player-development system. “I’m not sure everyone will return, some might take jobs elsewhere, but we’ve offered them all contracts for 2010,” Hoyer said.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)