Oct 29, 2009, 12:27 PM EST
After hiring Jed Hoyer as their new general manager earlier this week the Padres fired vice president for scouting and player development Grady Fuson and reassigned scouting director Bill Gayton.
Those are two of the front office’s most important positions and it’s understandable that Hoyer would want to fill them with his own choices, but he stopped well short of a complete overhaul yesterday by offering 2010 contracts to all of the Padres’ amateur scouts, cross-checkers, and minor-league instructors, managers, and coaches.
Bill Center of the San Diego Union Tribune notes that those contracts cover a total of about 70 positions representing the backbone of the Padres’ player-development system. “I’m not sure everyone will return, some might take jobs elsewhere, but we’ve offered them all contracts for 2010,” Hoyer said.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)