How can Philadelphia top Jay-Z and Alicia Keys?

Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 PM EDT

Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performing “Empire State of Mind” prior to Game 2 last night seemed to work out pretty well, as nearly every player from both teams congregated atop the dugout to watch, Ozzie Guillen snapped cellphone pictures from the FOX pregame show stage, and the New York crowd didn’t even boo them off the field.
All of which got me thinking that perhaps the Phillies should follow suit and have someone sing a Philadelphia-themed song prior to Game 3 tomorrow night? Of course, songs about the City of Brotherly Love aren’t quite as plentiful as songs about The Big Apple, so the Phillies may have to settle for a classic rather than a current hit.
What are the choices? I’m far from an expert on music or Philadelphia, so feel free to chime in with suggestions of your own, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
– “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John
– “Philadelphia” by Neil Young
– “Motown Philly” by Boyz II Men
– “Streets of Philadelphia” by Bruce Springsteen
Not a ton to choose from, like I said. We could expand the list to include something from Rocky or just let a band or group from Philadelphia do one of their hits that’s unrelated to the city, but that kind of defeats the purpose. My vote goes to “Philadelphia Freedom” or “Motown Philly” mostly because “Streets of Philadelphia” and “Philadelphia” are way too depressing.
Actually, my vote goes to the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia cast doing a “Night Man”/”Day Man” medley–the show is on FX, so FOX could use it as a promotional vehicle–but that would probably cause Charlie Manuel’s head to explode. Plus, it might be dangerous to let Rob McElhenney get that close to Chase Utley.

1. John Pendleton - Oct 30, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Got to have the Mummers – maybe doing “Happy Days Are Here Again.”

2. comeonman - Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

They can’t and what you suggested is LAME.

3. Comeondude - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Yeah everything you write is stupid, lame and does not make me hate my life any less.
    I love how people read a post and slam it because they did not like it. The odds are that nothing will make them happy, but if a post can just give them that nudge over the edge a little more than all the better for the rest of the world. Stay miserable!

4. Crash - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM

There is an easy way to top it. The Phillies are going to win the ballgame. It is the World Series and all baseball fans care about is the game – not entertainers and not mascots. I’m looking forward to cheering the Phillies on in person!

5. nah - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM

i’d just have the roots play to show people that they perfected the whole hiphop with a live band thing.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Hall and Oates are from Philly.
    More seriously: some great Philly Soul from the 70s: O’Jays, Stylistics, Delfonics, the Spinners. Do a medley with those guys (or whoever is left from them) and they’d bloy Jay-Z’s ass out of the water.

7. Mike Z - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

There is talk of Pearl Jam singing the National Anthem to open game 3. They are in Philly do play the last show ever in the Spectrum. If they did a cover of a Philly song or even just played one of their hits that would upstage that Jay-Z stuff.
    By the way, the hip hop stations in Philly have stopped playing that “Empire state of mind” song until the series is over. Some local Philly rapper changed the lyrics to “Philly state of mind” or something like that.

8. Greg - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM

They really were not all that, could not understand a word Jay-Z said & all she did was scream in the mike. All Philly needs to do too show them up is win the World Series. Its a game not a musical.

9. Cletus Spuckler - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:52 PM

The boy band “NuttSack” should perform their top 300 hit – “Horesemeat Cheeze Sammiches and Giving Head, That’s How We Roll in Philly.”

10. Mike Z - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM

You make Cletus the slack jawed yokel look like a bonafied genius compared to you. Does it feel good to be slower then a cartoon character that eats skunks and has lost a toe?

11. KimG - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Greg – HAHAHA “It’s a game not a musical” – You got that right!! LOL!

12. Stultus Magnus - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Just get somebody who isn’t lip syncing (Keys), that would be more fun.

13. Stultus Magnus - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Boyz II Men, that would be hilarious…

14. Corey Kendall - Oct 30, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I enjoyed the pre-game performance by Jay Z & Alicia, catchy song BTW. I do not know what Philadelphia can do to try & top that. Probably best for the folks in Philly to just cheer on the Phillies & hope they beat the Yankees, that is all.

15. Rupert - Oct 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Philadelphia might want to put paper bags over the heads of their female fans. Ugly bee-yotchs look either like horsey face John Elway or decrepit old Ben Franklin. An infusion of hot and tasty Yankee chicks would be a nice touch… Philly bittches are rank and foul.

16. Shawn Carter - Oct 31, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Philly should have Beck sing Loser. That would be most appropriate.

17. Bree - Oct 31, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Where are you from, Rupert? I hope to hell you’re not a Phillies fan. I can only imagine what you look like; I have a gut feeling that you are not all that!!! GO PHILLIES!!!

18. Stennis - Oct 31, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I once did an elderly Philly lady after the game in her camper out in lot H. She was about 72 yrs old. After sex, we both smoked some great weed and cuddled. Nice!

19. Alicia Mickey Factz Saleman - Dec 31, 2009 at 7:03 PM

True true on that. Makes me think about my fave hip hop artist Mickey Factz whose rhymes is a crowd pleaser!

20. Buy Review Articles - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Great stuff…… I personally want to thank you for writing this article. I am just very impressed with your work. I gained a lot of information on this matter. I really happy to have gone through your article. Please keep up the good work.

21. How To Fix A Marriage - Feb 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM

lol, Jay Z is so funny! I love him.

22. Calculator - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

It take many nails to build crib but one screw to fill it

23. Donald Pidgeon - Feb 27, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Hi, terrific post! Have you ever taken into consideration bringing more videos to your blog posts to help keep your readers much more amused? I mean I just went through the entire article of yours and yes it was very good but simply because I’m really a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful. well let me know how it works out! I like what you guys are always up to. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve bookmarked your site and I will check out your blog frequently for some latest article. : ) Cheers

24. How to win at texas hold em poker - Mar 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Is it correct that many musicians get screwed over by record studies that wanted to take every penny ?

25. Jonathan Calculator - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

How can you tell if your husband is dead? The sex is the same, but you get the remote

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2770)