Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 PM EDT
Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performing “Empire State of Mind” prior to Game 2 last night seemed to work out pretty well, as nearly every player from both teams congregated atop the dugout to watch, Ozzie Guillen snapped cellphone pictures from the FOX pregame show stage, and the New York crowd didn’t even boo them off the field.
All of which got me thinking that perhaps the Phillies should follow suit and have someone sing a Philadelphia-themed song prior to Game 3 tomorrow night? Of course, songs about the City of Brotherly Love aren’t quite as plentiful as songs about The Big Apple, so the Phillies may have to settle for a classic rather than a current hit.
What are the choices? I’m far from an expert on music or Philadelphia, so feel free to chime in with suggestions of your own, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
– “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John
– “Philadelphia” by Neil Young
– “Motown Philly” by Boyz II Men
– “Streets of Philadelphia” by Bruce Springsteen
Not a ton to choose from, like I said. We could expand the list to include something from Rocky or just let a band or group from Philadelphia do one of their hits that’s unrelated to the city, but that kind of defeats the purpose. My vote goes to “Philadelphia Freedom” or “Motown Philly” mostly because “Streets of Philadelphia” and “Philadelphia” are way too depressing.
Actually, my vote goes to the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia cast doing a “Night Man”/”Day Man” medley–the show is on FX, so FOX could use it as a promotional vehicle–but that would probably cause Charlie Manuel’s head to explode. Plus, it might be dangerous to let Rob McElhenney get that close to Chase Utley.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)