Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 PM EDT
Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performing “Empire State of Mind” prior to Game 2 last night seemed to work out pretty well, as nearly every player from both teams congregated atop the dugout to watch, Ozzie Guillen snapped cellphone pictures from the FOX pregame show stage, and the New York crowd didn’t even boo them off the field.
All of which got me thinking that perhaps the Phillies should follow suit and have someone sing a Philadelphia-themed song prior to Game 3 tomorrow night? Of course, songs about the City of Brotherly Love aren’t quite as plentiful as songs about The Big Apple, so the Phillies may have to settle for a classic rather than a current hit.
What are the choices? I’m far from an expert on music or Philadelphia, so feel free to chime in with suggestions of your own, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
– “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John
– “Philadelphia” by Neil Young
– “Motown Philly” by Boyz II Men
– “Streets of Philadelphia” by Bruce Springsteen
Not a ton to choose from, like I said. We could expand the list to include something from Rocky or just let a band or group from Philadelphia do one of their hits that’s unrelated to the city, but that kind of defeats the purpose. My vote goes to “Philadelphia Freedom” or “Motown Philly” mostly because “Streets of Philadelphia” and “Philadelphia” are way too depressing.
Actually, my vote goes to the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia cast doing a “Night Man”/”Day Man” medley–the show is on FX, so FOX could use it as a promotional vehicle–but that would probably cause Charlie Manuel’s head to explode. Plus, it might be dangerous to let Rob McElhenney get that close to Chase Utley.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)