Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 PM EST
Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performing “Empire State of Mind” prior to Game 2 last night seemed to work out pretty well, as nearly every player from both teams congregated atop the dugout to watch, Ozzie Guillen snapped cellphone pictures from the FOX pregame show stage, and the New York crowd didn’t even boo them off the field.
All of which got me thinking that perhaps the Phillies should follow suit and have someone sing a Philadelphia-themed song prior to Game 3 tomorrow night? Of course, songs about the City of Brotherly Love aren’t quite as plentiful as songs about The Big Apple, so the Phillies may have to settle for a classic rather than a current hit.
What are the choices? I’m far from an expert on music or Philadelphia, so feel free to chime in with suggestions of your own, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
– “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John
– “Philadelphia” by Neil Young
– “Motown Philly” by Boyz II Men
– “Streets of Philadelphia” by Bruce Springsteen
Not a ton to choose from, like I said. We could expand the list to include something from Rocky or just let a band or group from Philadelphia do one of their hits that’s unrelated to the city, but that kind of defeats the purpose. My vote goes to “Philadelphia Freedom” or “Motown Philly” mostly because “Streets of Philadelphia” and “Philadelphia” are way too depressing.
Actually, my vote goes to the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia cast doing a “Night Man”/”Day Man” medley–the show is on FX, so FOX could use it as a promotional vehicle–but that would probably cause Charlie Manuel’s head to explode. Plus, it might be dangerous to let Rob McElhenney get that close to Chase Utley.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 11
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 3
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 75
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)