Oct 30, 2009, 1:25 PM EDT
Jay-Z and Alicia Keys performing “Empire State of Mind” prior to Game 2 last night seemed to work out pretty well, as nearly every player from both teams congregated atop the dugout to watch, Ozzie Guillen snapped cellphone pictures from the FOX pregame show stage, and the New York crowd didn’t even boo them off the field.
All of which got me thinking that perhaps the Phillies should follow suit and have someone sing a Philadelphia-themed song prior to Game 3 tomorrow night? Of course, songs about the City of Brotherly Love aren’t quite as plentiful as songs about The Big Apple, so the Phillies may have to settle for a classic rather than a current hit.
What are the choices? I’m far from an expert on music or Philadelphia, so feel free to chime in with suggestions of your own, but here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
– “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John
– “Philadelphia” by Neil Young
– “Motown Philly” by Boyz II Men
– “Streets of Philadelphia” by Bruce Springsteen
Not a ton to choose from, like I said. We could expand the list to include something from Rocky or just let a band or group from Philadelphia do one of their hits that’s unrelated to the city, but that kind of defeats the purpose. My vote goes to “Philadelphia Freedom” or “Motown Philly” mostly because “Streets of Philadelphia” and “Philadelphia” are way too depressing.
Actually, my vote goes to the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia cast doing a “Night Man”/”Day Man” medley–the show is on FX, so FOX could use it as a promotional vehicle–but that would probably cause Charlie Manuel’s head to explode. Plus, it might be dangerous to let Rob McElhenney get that close to Chase Utley.
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 5
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 41
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)