Oct 30, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
You can tell just how hard it was for the media to go with that “A-Rod: clutch God” line of thinking they’ve been forced to adopt this year, because after just two bad games, they’re back into their old groove. First it was Joe Buck last night who, according to one reader, was “single handedly on a mission to resurrect the A-Rod is a choker in the post season movement.” This morning it’s the Daily News who says Rodriguez “suddenly looks as terrible at the plate as he did in far too many previous Octobers.”
Here’s an idea: give the dude the benefit of the doubt and allow for the fact that this is a World Series that, so far, has been marked by dominant starting pitching, even by the losing pitchers. If A-Rod strikes out with the bases loaded in the last at bat of the deciding game, fine, go crazy. In the meantime, hasn’t he earned a little bit of breathing room on this subject?
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59