Oct 30, 2009, 12:35 PM EDT
Josh Johnson and Jeremy Hermida were born one day apart in January of 1984, they’re both arbitration eligible this offseason, and they’re both under team control through 2011, but Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins are taking very different approaches with the two players.
According to Frisaro the Marlins are interested in signing Johnson to a long-term contract extension at some point this offseason, but are likely to make Hermida available in trades. Both approaches make sense, because Johnson has reemerged as one of the elite starting pitchers in baseball since returning from Tommy John elbow surgery while Hermida has largely disappointed after coming up through the minors as a top prospect.
Johnson is 22-6 with a 3.34 ERA and 268/85 K/BB ratio in 296 innings spread over 47 starts since making his way back following surgery, showing increased velocity after going under the knife. Frisaro writes that the Marlins will make a push to sign him “in the upcoming weeks” and have discussed offering him a contract covering “at least four seasons.” He speculates that the Marlins would have to top the four-year, $38 million deal Zack Greinke signed with the Royals last winter.
Hermida was a 2002 first-round pick and Baseball America ranked him as the No. 4 prospect in baseball for 2006, but he’s hit just .265/.344/.425 through 1,929 plate appearances while missing time with various injuries. He’s still just 25 years old, but he’s about to get fairly expensive via arbitration and the cost-cutting Marlins seemingly aren’t willing to show any more patience. Frisaro lists the Mariners, Rays, Mets, Blue Jays, and Cubs as possibly having interest in Hermida.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 47
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)